Such a strange moment of crystal clear clarity

SarahJC

Nov 9, 2023
My mother has middle stage dementia and for a long time now does not think she is living in her own home and really doesn’t know where anything is in her home. She just laughs when I tell her this is her home. I try to point out things in the home to try to help make a connection for her, as had read that people with vascular dementia, this can be helpful.
But today, we were off to the Vets for mine and her dogs’ vaccines, so helping my mum, two dogs, bags etc, struggling to get her in the car and then out of nowhere told me that this was of course her current home she lived in, knew the road, her neighbours, put her seat belt on with no help but was completely bewildered as to why she didn’t remember this before and said she felt like she had been in a fog for a few months.
It felt like I had my old mum back momentarily but was a very strange shared experience and completely out of the blue.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It happens @SarahJC and is unexplainable.

It`s why I have always felt we should never give up on people with dementia as being lost to us because we have no idea what they do and do not perceive.

SarahJC

Nov 9, 2023
Yes
It happens @SarahJC and is unexplainable.

It`s why I have always felt we should never give up on people with dementia as being lost to us because we have no idea what they do and do not perceive.
Yes that’s very true Grannie G and for me also bewildering as to what if there was a trigger and seeing a sharp together mind again