Struggling to decide whether it's time for a care home

rsfam

Jan 18, 2018
We're struggling with the decision as to whether or not to leave an elderly relative in a care home. I'll trying giving you some background information, sorry in advance, it's a little long;

My wife and I have spent the last 15 years being there for her 93 year old grandmother when she's needed us. She has children and other grand-children, but saldy they all live further down the country, or abroad.

As gran has got older, both myself and my wife have increased the amount of help we've been providing. A number of years ago she fell outside and broke her wrist (needed pins putting in), then fell and broker her other wrist, then she fell and broke her pelvis. After that she had a bowel obstruction and required an operation to fix that. Each time it's been us providing gran with the support. Grans had a bad reaction to codene, again, we were there to help.

Since being diagnosed with mixed dimentia we've found that gran is waking up really confused, she doesn't know where she is, she's frightened, etc. Each time we were the ones being called upon to drop our plans to go and see her, to settle her down, arrange for doctors if needed. More recently she's started going outside knocking on neighbours doors looking for help. We get phone calls from her at silly times during the night as she's woke up and thinks it's 3pm rather than 3am. Up until a couple of weeks ago gran had carers going to her home four times a day, and then she had two calls a week where someone would either sit with her, or take her out for a walk. To get her out the house, most days one of us has been going down to take gran for a short stroll. Throughout all of this we've found gran loves to moan, about anything and everything. She moans she doesn't get out, so we make sure she goes out, we arrange for carers to take her out, she still moans she doesn't get out. She complains she doesn't see anyone, even though she has four carer visits per day and either myself, or my wife visit her for at least an hour almost every day. For a long time we did all of her washing because she couldn't open the washer door, but now the carers help which is good. She cooks herselve microwave lunches (she's too impatient to wait for the carers to get there), but many times we find her eating actual frozen meals because she's not cooked it in the oven long enough (she won't use a microwave).

As a result of all of the falls, we felt that gran couldn't go outside on her own in case she fell and broke something else. Her walking had obviously got worse as she got older and we no longer felt she was stable enough on her feet, so for at least 2-3 years she's not being going out on her own. However, a couple of month ago we've started to discover that she's been making a few lone trips out to the library on her own, and as well as that, we think she's been on a really long walk to a cemetary to drop some old flowers off (rather than putting them in the bin). Most of the time she tries to hide these things from us through fear of what we'll say (because when something goes wrong it's us that's left to pick the pieces up). Generally she does and says some crazy things that we just simply can't comprehend or believe.

About two weeks ago we had a call from the carer to say she's arrived at grans and there's a neighbour sat in her living room who says he's had to bring her back home twice. Gran has sensors on her doors which notify a warden when the doors are open before 7:30 in the morning, however it took the wardens an hour to turn up and in that time she'd been out wondering twice and been brought back home by a neighbour who then sat with her for 45 minutes until the morning carer turned up. Gran was extremely confused, was talking to the sofa, talking to the curtains, so obviously my wife had to take most of the day off work. A doctors advised us that for time being gran would be best off in a care home as it wasn't safe for her to be at home on her own, and neither me or my wife were able to stay (we've got a 4 year old of our own to look after). During the confusion she kept threatening to walk in front of a car, or leave the gas on (she doesn't have gas thankfully), and kept asking for a 'pill' (which she regularly does), she actually did strop outside and march down the street in an attempt to go see the priest, with my wife following behind, and she almost walked out infront of a car, so she had to be brought back. Since that day gran has been in a care home just down the road, and she's gradually kind of got back to how she was mentally before the episode. We visit her every day in the home, but we've had days where she has been absolutely horrible to my wife, wishing her dead for leaving her in the home and not taking her back to her own home. All she does is complain, theres no fridge, she can't make her own cups of tea (which she didn't really do at home anyway), she can't go shopping (which she didn't do at home), she can't eat when she wants, they give her too much food, or they don't give her enough food, it's always cold, there's not enough sheets on the bed, and she keeps telling us that she HATES it in there. All of this makes us feel really guilty for even considering to leaving her in there.

Our problem is, now she's in the care home we have started to wonder if that's the best/safest place for her to be. She'd get her meals made and she wouldn't be eating actual frozen meals, she gets cups of tea made for her, there's always someone around so she shouldn't be lonely, which is one of the things she'd complain about when she was at home. When in the home though all she does is sit in her room on her own. When she wakes up in the middle of the night/morning confused, she can't go knocking on peoples doors, and there'll always be someone around to help calm her down. But at the same time she tells us she hates is, and we understand that in being there she does lose even more of her independence in terms of she can't make a drink when she wants, she can't eat when she wants, she can't go out when she wants (which we don't want her doing that anyway). There's been a few nights in the care home after she first went in where she trashed her room, and even got outside, although the doors are alarmed and someone quickly brought her back in. There's been nights where she hasn't gone to bed.

On top of this, there's the stress the last 15 years has placed on myself and mostly my wife, we spend hours and hours each week caring for her gran, getting her pension, sorting her shopping, phoning the doctors, hospitals, carers, social works etc etc. There was a time when we used to enjoy spending time with gran, she was lovely, she'd help anyone, but now she's bitter, twisted, grumpy, depressed, she simply can't be pleased, and as time goes by she requires more and more support, which in itself is understandable given her age, but she appears to only want this support from my wife. If offered we doubt she'd go and live with her daughter, but we know she'd jump at the change to live with us (which just isn't an option).

One of grans daughters works in the social care system, and appears to be keen for her mother to go back to her bungalow, and gran keeps telling us she wants to go back, but at the same time it's us that's having to deal with all of the ****, while grans children and other grandchildren all get on with their lives, without barely a phone call to gran to find out how she is. It's us that's having to deal with the phone calls during the night, us that have to take time off work to sort things out, it's us that has the worry and stress of wondering if grans going to go for a wonder during the night and either get lost or hurt. The social works too seems keen for gran to go home, although we suspect this is for budgeting reasons.

My wife is power of attorney for her gran, and feels as though the decision of leaving gran in a home or bringing her home is soley down to her. She's worried that if she's left in the home, she'd die within a short time and the rest of the family will lay the blame on her for making the decision. But we have similar concerns if gran comes home, what if she gets out of the bungalow? how much more time are we expected to devote to gran, we don't feel we can continue with the level of support we've been providing, let alone increase what we already do. If gran does come home our only solution is to have her locked in her bungalow so she can't get out, but even that only solves a few of the issues we have, she'll still eat frozen food, she'll still leave the electric hob on, she'll still leave plates in the oven for hours and wonder why they crack. She'll still not drink enough, she'll still leave glasses of fresh orange on the bench for days and take small sips out of it and wonder why she gets the splats. There's just a huge sea of concerns that we have, but at the same time we're struggling to decide what is actually best for gran. We know what's best for us, but what is best for us isn't an option, we're just not like that.

We're also both very annoyed that because we're the closest relatives to gran, that we've literally been left to deal with everything on our own, while others down play each situation that occurs and makes us feel like the situation we're in is our own doing. For example, it's been said that my wife shouldn't go visit her gran every day, that's caused a reliance on my wife, but at the same time we can't just leave gran needing support and sitting back and not giving it.

The purpose of all of this, is to attempt get feedback from others that may help us to decide what's best for gran.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
One thing is clear to me - once someone starts thinking about care homes it's usually the time for it, or you wouldn't be thinking about it. And it's not even how she presents herself - it's what you, the carers can cope with. If you can't you can't and that's that, and you have a doctor backing you up on that. You've done more than enough and you have a right to your own life. What others say is irrelevant, especially if they do nothing to help out. No care no opinion in my book.
I don't know how long she's been in the home but it can take people months to settle. Have you ever asked the staff how she is when you're not around? She might just project all her misery on you as her nearest relatives. Maybe try to visit a little less until she's settled a bit more? The thing is, you're a reminder of the outside world she is no longer part of, and that might set her off everytime she sees you.

rsfam

Jan 18, 2018
Thanks Beate,

She's only been in the care home two weeks, so not long. When we ask the care home hows she'd been, they usually tell us she's fine, she's no bother at all.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yep, that's what I thought. That's really very common so please stop worrying about her - the care home clearly seems to be good for her - just let her settle a bit more on her own.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hi
I read in the forum about making a visit to the home and watching from afar, don’t let Gran see you, so you can see what her behaviour is like when you are not around.
Beate has given very wise words.

Take care of you as carers. X

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Hi Rsfam.

Reading through your post it sounds like gran is in the right place and should stay in her care home.

There's definitely a time when needs trump wants, gran in law needs 24 hour care and support even though she doesn't want it. What she needs is sadly more important than what she wants at this stage.

Like many people with dementia gran in law probably isn't able to see for herself the degree to which she was not coping at home, but essentially she is unsafe, eating partially cooked food, she's confused and frightened as shown by calls to you and she's got poor road sense. What choice do you realistically have other than to ensure that she's well fed, constantly supported and safe?

Family who aren't involved in gran in law's care will have opinions, but from what you've posted they have very little contact so really in my eyes they don't have a right to make judgements, though I don't doubt for a second that they will. I'd suggest asking them how they would feel if gran in law caused an accident by stepping out onto the road, it's not only her life which would be in danger, any accident could be life changing for the driver(s) sadly involved.

The other point is that you cannot lock gran in her bungalow, even with the very best of motives and as she's disturbing the other residents within the complex the management may not be happy about her returning (I'm making the assumption it's sheltered accommodation).

I'm sorry I've been really blunt. I hope I haven't offended you. One final thing is about you and your wife, you've a 4 year old. You've gone above and way beyond for your wife's grandmother, but it must be at a sacrifice to your own family. Your wife's gran probably wouldn't want you to make those sacrifices if dementia were not in the mix.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Your gran is safe, warm, fed and secure. Take a while to reflect on the situation.
I always thought my 92yr old dad would pine and die quickly in a home, he’d been “managing “ but a crisis lead to him moving into care, he actually became calmer and less stressed, 3 meals a day, warm and safe. 3 years on he’s still comfortable and SAFE.
That’s the thing, our loved ones have to be safe, we can do nothing to alter this disease, but we can make sure they are warm, fed, have company, all of which sometimes has to be in residential care.
As carers we have to care first for US, we have a life too, and you have a little one.
Hold fast. Stall, procrastinate, delay. Give gran time to settle.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
One thing is clear to me - once someone starts thinking about care homes it's usually the time for it, or you wouldn't be thinking about it. And it's not even how she presents herself - it's what you, the carers can cope with. If you can't you can't and that's that
Beate's words are perfect.
Nobody can do what is impossible for them.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
From what you said she was complaining and unhappy before she went into the care home.
The unhappiness is internal, due to the dementia. You wont be able to change that whatever you do.
But you can keep her safe, well fed, and cared for - and it is quite possible that she will settle and become content.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I’m sure if my mum was more mobile then she would have been like your gran in law making breaks for it & trying to escape from home & go for a wander. Fortunately for her, she is pretty immobile anyway & a homebird.

Sadly a chest infection followed by a big seizure & several other mini strokes have led to a decline in her overall condition & a hospital stay which is now leading to an assessment trial bed in a nursing home.

PWD often say that they would like to live with you or you with them but they have no idea just how in a lot of cases that would be impossible & reasoning with them is futile. I had this again today in hospital. My mum said she could come & live with us & I said sorry mum but we don’t have space for you & the bathroom is upstairs. So then she says so you can come & live with me & I have to say sorry mum but you don’t have enough room for us, our 2 cats & our businesses ( we work from home) even if we did fit in, then my mum would be in our faces non stop, asking questions, getting in the way & then demanding that we pay her attention & do stuff for her. It would be a complete disaster, so with her declining health then it seems a care home is the right & best solution for her needs.

Sure I would love her to remain at home but she needs 24/7 help. If that is an option for your gran in law then by all means explore it. Did the wardens explain why it took them so long to get to your gran in law? This is surely a safety concern to me.
It really does sound that she needs more nursing care in a more secure environment & you do have to think about your own lives.
The other relatives who don’t have contact with your gran should all come down & spend time with her but sadly as my relatives have shown, they won’t have a good idea about how she actually is with her dementia so they would be in for a shock.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I agree with everyone else. It sounds as though your gran is unsafe at home. My dad has no idea how much work he makes for me, he thinks he's fine. Luckily for me he doesn't wander or cause problems for the neighbours or leave the oven on or eat frozen and spoiled food and make himself ill. If he was doing these things I'd be asking the care home question.

The rest of my family have no idea how bad dad really is, and I think that's the same with most family members who don't do the day to day caring.

But the most important thing, in my view, is your own little family. Your little one won't be little for long and with your gran safe and well in the care home you can put your energy into being the best parents you can.

Let me ask you a question:
If your 4 year old was playing up because he/she wanted to do something unsafe which could hurt of even cause loss of life would you let that happen?
You need to look at your gran in the same way now, for all your sakes.
She made you her attorney because she trusted you . Now's the time to live up to that trust.
I know it's hard and I'm sorry you have to face this. It's something we all dread.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I agree with everyone else - your wife's gran wasn't safe and wasn't happy in her own home, you have the right to a family life of your own, and deciding to keep her in the care home is the most rational and compassionate course. You have done your duty and more, and other family members have no right to criticise you. Of course, they probably will - but you do not need to feel guilty about your decision.

My own experience bears this out:

My mother spent the last year of her life in a care home, and when we first organised it, one of my sisters gave me grief about it. Now she has thanked me for the decision and says it was the best place for Mum to be.

Mum herself was stroppy and unhappy to start with, but settled down within a couple of months. I was going in every day at first but that seemed to encourage Mum to grumble - so on the advice of people on this forum, I decided to skip days occasionally. Shortly after that I fell ill from exhaustion and couldn't go in for a week in any case. When I got back again, Mum was actually better because she'd had a chance to settle.

During Mum's stay in the care home, people could make me feel bad by telling me about how much better it was to care for elderly relatives in the home, even though I'd never considered that because I knew it would just make Mum and me and my husband very unhappy. But with hindsight, what did they know? Mum was far happier in the home than she'd been in the last two years 'home alone' and when things went wrong, the carers stepped in and soothed her and got medical help for her.

It really doesn't sound as if your wife's grandmother is safe in her own home, and if something happened there, the guilt would be far harder to deal with.