Stranger than usual behaviour

Foresthill12

Mar 21, 2023
My mother has been experiencing short term memory issues for the past 12 months but her behaviour and general mental well being is becoming increasingly concerning. She has lost a considerable amount of weight and is now only around 6 1/2stone, she is constantly exhausted to the point where she is barely able to function. We were at my parents today for Christmas lunch and the few things that she was in charge of (preparing veg and setting table) were beyond her ability and when we arrived she just said she was too exhausted to do anything and spent the whole day lying on the sofa pretty much out of it. She seems to be always slightly out of it and just not herself at all 😢

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Foresthill12 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I think it might be a good idea to sen you mum’s GP a bullet point list of your concerns and see if they can call her in for a check up. It might not want to, but at least they’ll be aware of what’s happening.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
I think many times family and doctors blame dementia when there could be something else causing the problem.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Hi

You could try a " it's a well woman check" ... With Dad he had an existing condition so we kept saying it was for that. It could be something else brewing so that would be a good place to start with a routine blood test that the doctors offer sometimes. You could ring and ask them to send your mum a message ? Your mum would think it was the doctors and perhaps be more inclined to go and book an appointment. We used to also email about what was going on at home and our concerns even though at that point they couldn't really talk to us. It might be worth giving that a try.