End of life

Lon068

Feb 25, 2024
Sydney, Australia
Sorry for your loss Jackie. Our Mum is just entering this phase. She isn’t eating and now isn’t drinking. My brother is in contact with her care home and doctor, and visits regularly with his family. I am in Australia and can only rely on FaceTime when he visits. I know that it is highly likely she will pass and I won’t be there. I know there are no clear indicators for end of life but how long can someone last without food or liquids? It is breaking my heart 💔😢

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'm so sorry to hear your news @Lon068

Stopping eating and drinking is part of the dying process with dementia. The body closes down slowly over weeks or months and then cannot process food or drink so they will refuse it. This can go on much longer than you would think possible - my mum went 17 days without any food or fluid, although others have only gone up couple of days. It is a horrible time
((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Lon068

Feb 25, 2024
Sydney, Australia
Thanks @canary. The waiting is the worst, isn’t it. I would love to have enough notice to be able to fly home and be with her, which I would do at the drop of a hat. I know in reality that is unlikely to happen but there is always hope 💕

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you can, I would try and go there now if you wish to see her. She has already stopped eating and drinking, so it sounds like the end will be soon.
xx