Strange tastes

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
My late husband was a very fussy eater. Wouldn’t eat salads, and his vegetable range was peas potato and carrots. After diagnosis I found that his food range expanded. After he eventually went into care he ate everything they put in front of them including foods he had refused outright in the past.

Loujess

Dec 18, 2021
My husband now eats very little so I’m happy for him to get calories any way he can. He’ll have biscuits for breakfast, a scone for lunch and perhaps half a sandwich for dinner. Then he’ll have a magnum lolly and chocolate in the evening. I’ve noticed he does find food to be quite salty now.

DazeyDoris

Jul 9, 2020
It's heartening to read other people's experiences with this. My husband never had much of a sweet tooth but now drinks squash only diluted 1:1 with water, eats lots of biscuits and ice creams and this week smeared his salmon dinner with large amounts of strawberry jam.

Valpiana

Sep 16, 2019
When I visit my husband in the care home I usually take some fruit or a cold drink,his standard reply is "It's not my favourite ". I have taken a huge variety of items only one of which has passed his tastebud test, chocolate milk.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
My OH always declared a preference for unsweetened tea and coffee.
He used to have a man-sized appetite and could easily polish off a three course meal.
His breakfast would be a salad sandwich, particularly tomatoes, then anything else he could lay his hands on.
He now takes milk and a sweetener in tea and coffee.
His meal size is small and cut up to be spoon manageable (even jelly!). Fortunately, his liking for salad had remained so long as I dress it up with some mayo or other home-made gloop or other.
Breakfast now is generally a banana followed by a couple of Pain au Chocolat and perhaps yogurt biscuits or cereal. Toast is OK if I cut it into fingers,
I find cold weather food so much easier (batch cooking / freezing small portions etc) and soups, casseroles, stews, ragus etc suit spoon eating better.
But I'd rather he ate junk than nothing at all. That's where ready frozen bags and boxes of bits and bobs are really playing their part now, much though it grieves me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5