Stopping someone using the phone.

Uncle Bob

Mar 21, 2009
My dear Mother rings the neighbours, police, friends and family whenever she gets anxious and her carer is out of the house for more than a few minutes; I don't want to stop her using the phone completely but can anyone suggest a way of blocking certain numbers, 999 for instance?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Phones (use of and abuse of) are a perennial problem. While you "might" be able to block certain numbers, I'm reasonable certain that you will not find a product that will allow you to block 999. Does your mother live alone?

Uncle Bob

Mar 21, 2009
Hello Jennifer. My mother doesn't live alone and it's her shared house owner who looks after/keeps an eye on her and is worried about the phone calls.

jenny48

Sep 19, 2008
Hello Uncle Bob

Welcome to TP.

Sorry your having problems with the phone, I worked as a telephonist for BT, when there were human beings on the other end of the phone. I do know that you can have your phone blocked from all outgoing calls but this excludes 999 for obvious reasons. I realy don't think there is any way to stop 999 calls from any phone, you could ring customer svcs at BT but I am nearly sure that this "call barring" is still available but not on emergency calls.

Good luck
Jenny:)

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Uncle Bob,

Pretty sure you can't block 999, as mobiles can still call that number even when locked.

Could you have just one number in the phone's memory so she had someone she trusted and could call if she is upset? I know that is putting a huge burden on someone (probably you!) but it would stop her calling the police at least, if you told her not to phone them unless it was life and death.

Sorry can't be more helpful

Vonny xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
As she doesn't live alone, and this is a problem only when her carer isn't there, all I can suggest is that the carer disables the phone every time he/she leaves. Of course, that would mean that she couldn't call anyone when the carer wasn't there. To be honest, the issue appears to be less about the phone, and more about her being left alone. It is possible she has reached the state where, due to her anxiety, she should NOT be left alone. Most people get to this point due to lack of mobility or safety issues, but anxiety of this magnitude shouldn't be discounted either.

Uncle Bob

Mar 21, 2009
I think you are right and she shouldn't be left alone anymore; a sad situation but necessary I think. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch