Stopped talking just counts instead

Janey russ

Jan 2, 2014
My mother is now in late stage dementia and seems to have swapped words for numbers. She lies in bed and just calls out numbers. A few days ago it was the alphabet but that has now gone too. She sleeps most of the time and in the past week has dramatically lost a lot of weight and is almost skeletal. She is hardly eating or drinking just a few teaspoons of porridge and sips of tea of water. Are we reaching the end....or is this just yet another stage of this awful journey? I would really appreciate your knowledge and experience

tabitha1

Apr 12, 2013
Hi Janey

I really feel for you. Yes it could be almost the end; I think you should comfort yourself with the knowledge that you have done your best for her; this illness is so cruel and you wouldn't want her to suffer any longer. We all have to go at some point and you have been there for her and she at some level understands that.

I have the same issues with my mother; it does take some coming to terms with but we mustn't beat ourselves up too much.

Take care

Janey russ

Jan 2, 2014
Thank you...who knows how long this journey will last.....too long I feel for all of us. It's such an awful disease

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare