Step siblings

mgbpink

Feb 11, 2024
Hi my step mum recently passed away and my step sister and brother want to visit my dad however myself brother and sister have evidence of financial abuse which we have only learned about since the passing of the step mother. Does any one know if grown up step children have any legal entitlement to continue visiting their step parent.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi my step mum recently passed away and my step sister and brother want to visit my dad however myself brother and sister have evidence of financial abuse which we have only learned about since the passing of the step mother. Does any one know if grown up step children have any legal entitlement to continue visiting their step parent.
Does your father want to see them? And if there was financial abuse, do you know if the siblings were involved or just their mum?

I am not in UK so can’t help with the legality of a visit or not.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Maybe either you or your sibs could be present when (if) your step sibs visit your Dad? Have they been close to him? Are they perhaps looking for their mother's things? If they weren't close to your father, maybe ask why they want to visit?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @mgbpink and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your situation which is not one I have come across. I don't know about legal rights, but it is up to your Dad whether he wants to see them. If he does then it would be a good idea for you to be there too. If he doesn't then they'll need to accept that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @mgbpink and a welcome from me also to this friendly and supportive forum.
I don't know about legal rights either, but it seems to me too that it is up to your Dad if he wants to see his step sibs. If so, you being there too would be best.

Last edited by a moderator:

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I would have a chat with local community police and say you have an adult safeguarding concern.