State Benefits

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi all,

Having resigned myself to paying entirely for mum's care out of the sale of her house, I now find she is better off than I thought.

Mum has been granted Attendance Allowance, backdated to June, and today came the notification that she is now entitled to Pension Guarantee Credit cos the AA has given her an extra £48 living allowance. This has two effects. One it gives her Pension Guarantee credit of £29 a week cos her income is below that which they now say she needs to live on, and it gives her Savings Credit of £19.05 a week (the maximum award), with no reduction cos of the guarantee credit. So her income has increased by £38 a week for the next 5 years. I am well chuffed cos I expected it to decrease by £11 a week, so we are £49 a week better off than I expected.

The Guarantee Credit also entitles her to free dental treatment (so off for the replacement dentures), and vouchers towards glasses (which will replace the pair lost in hospital). Yippee!

Of course, I would have done these things anyway, but it just means the costs are easier to meet and from her own income, so the psychological issues are less.

Magic.

Margaret

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Always nice to hear good news, Margaret. When you're looking at care bills for an indefinite period, any oncrease in income is good news.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Margaret, good news indeed a little less for you to worry about. Take Care Taffy.