Started Constantly Fiddling

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by pussygalore, Oct 23, 2016.

1. pussygalore

pussygalore Registered User

Oct 25, 2015
    My OH has now given up the colouring which kept him so occupied during the day but now just fiddles with all the colour pencils. He stuffs them into every pocket he can find on his clothes and is forever dragging them out of his pockets and putting them back in. He keeps counting them and holding them up to the tv as he thinks the people on the tv are real. Does anybody have any ideas of other fidding toys that I can buy or even make that will keep his hands occupied. I have looked on the internet but they are very expensive and his attention span is very short. He will not do puzzles (never did) so these are not of any use. Any suggestions welcome.

2. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    You can buy kids plastic nuts n bolts.
    Dad used to play with mums clothes pegs, how about a pack of cards to shuffle and sort.

3. Beetroot

Beetroot Registered User

Aug 19, 2015
  4. pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
    Fiddling

Many thanks will give this a go.:)

5. Katrine

Katrine Registered User

Jan 20, 2011
    England
    How about a set of cuisenaire rods? Coloured counting sticks. They would be safer because no sharp ends. Of course, if he thinks they are crayons when he might get frustrated. He might also like wooden building blocks, or a wooden stack and sort puzzle set.

6. pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
    Fiddling

Have tried the twiddle muff but he did not seem to get the connection. The muff was actually given to us by our mental health nurse but maybe I will give it another go. Many thanks.

7. pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
    Fiddling

Thank you will have a look.

8. pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
    Fiddling

Another good idea. Thank you.:)

9. pamann

pamann Registered User

Oct 28, 2013
    Kent
    Hello pussygalore, my husband fiddles with his tie's, he stuffs his pockets with socks, tissues, his toothbrush, this is a tie he has demolished, so far he has ruined 11, l sow them up again, he does have them on, here's a photo of one.

10. pamann

pamann Registered User

Oct 28, 2013
    Kent
    Pressed the wrong button

Attached Files:

11. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

Would he untangle knotted thick string? Nothing too complicated obviously, but just to fiddle with- me may or may not untangle it!

Rubic cube? not to 'do' but to twizzle back & forth

Big beads threaded on a shoe lace , like a necklace? ( or nuts and washers to masculine-ise it)

12. irismary

irismary Registered User

Feb 7, 2015
    West Midlands
    My husband fiddles with coasters, cds - found several in my coat pocket, his birthday cards from months ago, keys, etc. I've wondered what else I could give him to distract him from household objects. Wish I could find something to occupy him that kept his attention.

13. Casbow

Casbow Registered User

Sep 3, 2013
    Colchester
    Hi there. My husband has fiddled with so many things over the last couple of years. So many I am not sure if I can remember them all. Firstly if what they are fiddling with is safe stop worrying and just be pleased that all is peaceful. My husband had a workshop in the garage when he was well. The contents have slowly been coming into the house and his wardrobe. The last 6 or more months it has been magazines (Radio times etc) and he spends hours rolling them and neatly arranging them with all sorts of bits and pieces. Now the rolled magazines are telescopes and the fruit of nature (acorns) are collected regularly. He has a brass bolt, a piece of lego, Key rings, screws I could go on but all I can say is if its safe let him and even encourage him to enjoy this fiddling. There is a lot worse they could be doing. When my husband is fiddling he is happy and in his own world. I love him more then than all the other times strange things happen. Oh and the latest is reading the grandchildrens story books. the ones I used to read to them. I love to hear that.xxx

14. Casbow

Casbow Registered User

Sep 3, 2013
    Colchester
    The latest thing I bought was a rubic cube. He's not interested in it.xx

15. onlyme1

onlyme1 Registered User

Sep 10, 2011
    scarborough
    Whatever you come up with, i bet it'll be a lot easier to provide at home! My parents are in a CH and I've taken in rummage baskets filled with cloth doillies, large beads on string, wooden curtain rings, bits and pieces to sort into colours etc. Inevitably, stuff disappears so it's an ongoing project. Pound shops have lots of fiddly bits like those brightly coloured car-polishing textured mitts. Mum constantly twiddles and dad grinds his teeth incessantly!

16. Casbow

Casbow Registered User

Sep 3, 2013
    Colchester
    Onlyme1

My husband has ground his teeth so badly I feel really upset about it.They look so terrible.xxx

17. 1mindy

1mindy Registered User

Jul 21, 2015
    Female
    Shropshire
    I always kind of like the fiddling kept him busy and calm