Started Constantly Fiddling

pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
My OH has now given up the colouring which kept him so occupied during the day but now just fiddles with all the colour pencils. He stuffs them into every pocket he can find on his clothes and is forever dragging them out of his pockets and putting them back in. He keeps counting them and holding them up to the tv as he thinks the people on the tv are real. Does anybody have any ideas of other fidding toys that I can buy or even make that will keep his hands occupied. I have looked on the internet but they are very expensive and his attention span is very short. He will not do puzzles (never did) so these are not of any use. Any suggestions welcome.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
You can buy kids plastic nuts n bolts.
Dad used to play with mums clothes pegs, how about a pack of cards to shuffle and sort.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
How about a set of cuisenaire rods? Coloured counting sticks. They would be safer because no sharp ends. Of course, if he thinks they are crayons when he might get frustrated. He might also like wooden building blocks, or a wooden stack and sort puzzle set.

pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
Fiddling

Try some charity shops, see what oddments they have. I'm thinking things like blocks/duplo - they can easily be washed again and again (my hygiene focus). Amazing what people give to them these days.

Also do you have a local 'freecycle' things given away free - join them and see what they have - though you sometimes have to be quick to be first - but it is a thought.

My mother tends to shuffle things, papers or documents etc - she'll tidy them up and then tidy them up again and again.

Thank you will have a look.

pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
Fiddling

How about a set of cuisenaire rods? Coloured counting sticks. They would be safer because no sharp ends. Of course, if he thinks they are crayons when he might get frustrated. He might also like wooden building blocks, or a wooden stack and sort puzzle set.

Another good idea. Thank you.:)

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello pussygalore, my husband fiddles with his tie's, he stuffs his pockets with socks, tissues, his toothbrush, this is a tie he has demolished, so far he has ruined 11, l sow them up again, he does have them on, here's a photo of one.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Pressed the wrong button

Attachments

• 1477243184825.jpg
    1477243184825.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 503

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Would he untangle knotted thick string? Nothing too complicated obviously, but just to fiddle with- me may or may not untangle it!

Rubic cube? not to 'do' but to twizzle back & forth

Big beads threaded on a shoe lace , like a necklace? ( or nuts and washers to masculine-ise it)

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My husband fiddles with coasters, cds - found several in my coat pocket, his birthday cards from months ago, keys, etc. I've wondered what else I could give him to distract him from household objects. Wish I could find something to occupy him that kept his attention.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi there. My husband has fiddled with so many things over the last couple of years. So many I am not sure if I can remember them all. Firstly if what they are fiddling with is safe stop worrying and just be pleased that all is peaceful. My husband had a workshop in the garage when he was well. The contents have slowly been coming into the house and his wardrobe. The last 6 or more months it has been magazines (Radio times etc) and he spends hours rolling them and neatly arranging them with all sorts of bits and pieces. Now the rolled magazines are telescopes and the fruit of nature (acorns) are collected regularly. He has a brass bolt, a piece of lego, Key rings, screws I could go on but all I can say is if its safe let him and even encourage him to enjoy this fiddling. There is a lot worse they could be doing. When my husband is fiddling he is happy and in his own world. I love him more then than all the other times strange things happen. Oh and the latest is reading the grandchildrens story books. the ones I used to read to them. I love to hear that.xxx

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
Whatever you come up with, i bet it'll be a lot easier to provide at home! My parents are in a CH and I've taken in rummage baskets filled with cloth doillies, large beads on string, wooden curtain rings, bits and pieces to sort into colours etc. Inevitably, stuff disappears so it's an ongoing project. Pound shops have lots of fiddly bits like those brightly coloured car-polishing textured mitts. Mum constantly twiddles and dad grinds his teeth incessantly!

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Onlyme1

Whatever you come up with, i bet it'll be a lot easier to provide at home! My parents are in a CH and I've taken in rummage baskets filled with cloth doillies, large beads on string, wooden curtain rings, bits and pieces to sort into colours etc. Inevitably, stuff disappears so it's an ongoing project. Pound shops have lots of fiddly bits like those brightly coloured car-polishing textured mitts. Mum constantly twiddles and dad grinds his teeth incessantly!

My husband has ground his teeth so badly I feel really upset about it.They look so terrible.xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6