Stages of dementia

Jacey

Jul 10, 2013
Norfolk
I have read TP members talking about various stages but have never heard of this before. I thought there was just a gradual deterioration with no specific stages. How do you know what stage a person is at and who tells you?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
There is an old thread of the stages
But to be honest the things that a person can/cannot do in the stages are variable to say the least
Ie my Mum when in say stage two could not do one or two things that were in stage 7.

But when in stage 7 could still walk with y
My support

on here we use them to give people a rough idea
I will see if I can find this thread but I may be a while

Last edited:

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
This is a good question. The answer seems to be that they are all approximations: we can be partly at one stage, partly at another. With some symptoms from one stage and some symptoms from another.

There is no text book.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Absolutely.

And I reckon it would be even harder if we knew exactly what was going to happen, and when.

I think the when and what are impossible things to gauge. Mum is a totally different person to the mum who was with us last year. So much has gone. The memory doctor thought that the heart problems would prevent the dementia problems becoming too much of an issue but it is progressing far faster than anyone expected.

So many unknowns with this horrible disease.

Dunkery

Jul 19, 2013
Devon
Thank you Lin1 for the link to the stages of dementia. I have been wondering what the definition of the different stages were and now I have a much better understanding.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Having read the thread you will have seen that there are three, five and seven stage versions. I don't know if anyone has added up how many different versions there are.

It's not clear either whether all the versions are claiming to be applicable to all forms of AD.

Or to all forms of dementia.

Handle with care.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
How do you recognize what stage your spouse is in? I recognize when he is slipping then he has a good day, then back to bad.

Thank you,
Faith

Hello Faith.

We do have threads on here about the various stages, but to be honest with my mum I found that when around stage two, their were a couple of things she could not do in stage 7
and when she was in the final stage she could still walk with a little help
and others on here find them very variable too

My mum had mixed dementia (Alzheimer's and vascular dementia) and for many years she could vary from one day to the next

I found this thread helpful at one point as it gave me a rough guide to where we were with this vile disease, its really only applicable to those who have Alzheimer's disease though

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?15175-Poll-stages-of-dementia-2009

Last edited:

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Faith, hi
I totally agree with you about the days being so very different one to the other, and some days have all sorts of stages in them, a bit like the weather - if you don't like what it's doing now then wait half an hour and it will be different!

I hope that you are enjoying the good times and coping with the difficult times, everybody's dementia journey is so very different that I cannot get my head around the idea of distinct stages, there seems to simply be life with dementia.

With kind regards from Jo

Jacey

Jul 10, 2013
Norfolk
Many thanks to you all for your comments, and thank you Lin1 for the link. I have just had a look at it and copied it as it does have many points which are helpful to me in understanding this awful affliction.

faithy

Jul 31, 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
Thanks!

Hi
There is an old thread of the stages
But to be honest the things that a person can/cannot do in the stages are variable to say the least
Ie my Mum when in say stage two could not do one or two things that were in stage 7.

But when in stage 7 could still walk with y
My support

on here we use them to give people a rough idea
I will see if I can find this thread but I may be a while

You are so spot on! - Tom does well on one part, and poorly on another - Thank you!

faithy

Jul 31, 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
Faith, hi
I totally agree with you about the days being so very different one to the other, and some days have all sorts of stages in them, a bit like the weather - if you don't like what it's doing now then wait half an hour and it will be different!

I hope that you are enjoying the good times and coping with the difficult times, everybody's dementia journey is so very different that I cannot get my head around the idea of distinct stages, there seems to simply be life with dementia.

With kind regards from Jo

Jo,
So true - the afternoon is different from the morning -evening is different from Afternoon - this slippery slope we are on is awful - cannot even imagine with my hubby is going through - needless to say, I do alot of bed crying - thank you for this site.

faithy

Jul 31, 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
Hello Faith.

We do have threads on here about the various stages, but to be honest with my mum I found that when around stage two, their were a couple of things she could not do in stage 7
and when she was in the final stage she could still walk with a little help
and others on here find them very variable too

My mum had mixed dementia (Alzheimer's and vascular dementia) and for many years she could vary from one day to the next

I found this thread helpful at one point as it gave me a rough guide to where we were with this vile disease, its really only applicable to those who have Alzheimer's disease though

Thank you so much - I will read the threads -

Gabrielle-amie

Feb 3, 2011
I have found this thread really helpful. Myhusband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's (frontal lobe atrophy) four years ago. I expected him to be about level two but realised when reading the stages that actually he is now between four and five. Especially interesting was the denial, which is happening almost daily. Then when he gets frustrated he will shout that he only has half a mind, which is so painful to hear, because he is then realsing things are going wrong. He is now not sorting out the cash in his pocket. Just before being picked up b y a friend for an outing he said he was alright for cash as he had sixty pounds in his pocket. He was holding in his hand a one pound coin and a fifty pence coin, which he was counting as fifty pounds!
It does all vary so much from day to day and hour to hour doesn't it?
It is good to read of other people's experiences.

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband also has problems with money - he also had a pound coin & a 50p coin & told me he had 'One & Five' - he was thinking in old money
He has lost money in the past - sometimes overpaying for something & not being told by the shop assistant, I think - and now, as long as he has about £2 in coins in his pocket, he seems happy ( he thinks he has more than he actually has )
He never buys anything now, as shops & choices are beyond him, and relies on me to do the shopping if he wants anything - cant be bad, as we all know women love shopping ;)