Ss

crafty

Jun 26, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi,

SS phoned my Sister today about Dad, they have asked her to ring them back in the next day or so to let them know how much money Dad has in his bank, they have said if they have to come down to do a financial assessment it will be upsetting for him, yes i know it will be and he is more than likely to show them the door.
Is this right to ask for such private information over the phone? Doesn'T sound like it to me.

Crafty x

Last edited:

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello, I hope someone with some expertise comes along soon with some facts for you. All I can say is that FIL did have to have a financial assessment when SS arranged a care plan and carers to come to the house for him. There are fact sheets about funding limits on the website. I think if you are asking SS to pay they may well have the authority to do an assessment but I agree it needs to be handled very delicately.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
From my experience, if your father has savings over around £23,000 or you have reason to believe that he would have to pay the full charge/contribution, then there is no reason to tell SS any more than that, just say you are prepared to pay the full charge. Of course, SS should tell you what that is. If, however, you are trying to get a reduction on the charge because of limited means, then I think SS would want details.

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
A friend of mine refused to allow Social Services to means test them, she just paid for her husband's respite care, hope this helps. Doesn't seem right to tell them over the phone though.

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
Hi If you were to ask the SS worker how much she had in the bank she would probably say that this was confidential information. For you or your sister to tell SS how much your dad had in the bank without his permission would be a breach of his confidentiality.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I would not give out this info over the phone, as you only have their word they are who they say they are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch