Speech and Language Therapy

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I am pasting here a copy of a communication I have received today. Would you please read through it and consider writing to your Member of parliament.

Abbr: RCSLT Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists

This message is being sent to you from the RCSLT Policy Team

Please ask your Member of Parliament (MP) to support all disabled people’s right to communication today!

The Government is taking action to support children and young people’s communication following the Bercow Review, but this commitment stops at 19 years of age

The RCSLT is part of the Adult Communication Coalition England (ACCE) alongside other organisations such as Scope, the Stroke Association, Mencap, the National Autistic Society, the Makaton Charity and many more

We are calling on the Government to support the speech, language and communication needs of all disabled people, no matter what their age is

Our call covers England specifically, so apologies if this does not apply to you or the service users you work with

Last year 77 MPs signed a statement, called an Early Day Motion, calling on the Government to keep its commitment to children and make a similar commitment to adults and older people

This showed just how much support there is in Parliament for disabled people’s communication needs

This year we want even more MPs to know about the importance of supporting adults and older people’s communication and ensure the Government takes action You can see the new EDM here: http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=39807&SESSION=903

Please go to www.timetogetequal.org.uk/communication now and write to your MP to ensure that they’re supporting this important issue in Parliament

Please pass this on to all the colleagues, friends and users you can to make a difference

Best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I received the following reply from my MP today.

Dear ............

Thank you for your email.

I don't sign any policy based EDMs as they are ineffective and
sometimes misleading. However, I do agree with you and I also want to
see strong and comprehensive speech and language therapy available
everywhere so I will write to ministers making them aware of your
thoughts and will let you know what they say.

Could you please confirm your full address?

Many thanks

Steve Ladyman

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
As a follow up to the email, I received a letter this morning from my MP.

Dear Mrs G.

Thank you for your recent email regarding EDM 264.

As I said in my reply to you I do not sign EDMs, however I have written to the Secretary of State for health raising your concerns and I will contact you again when I have his full response.

Your sincerely

Dr Stephen Ladyman MP
Member of Parliament for South Thanet.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you. The services of properly trained Speech and Language therapists are absolutely vital to people like us dealing with fronto temperal lobe dementia and they are very thin on the ground and it is very much a postcode lottery:eek: All efforts to rectify this are very much appreciated. I have had a reply from our own MP just to acknowledge my email and he promises to properly respond in due course.