Special day...

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
We walk together in the early summer garden. Light rain overnight has left everything smelling fresh and clean and new.

Taking extra care with the two steps up to the end of the path we stand hand in hand for a few moments by the empty flower beds that are bereft of any meaningful form.

Your eyes search around as you say "It does look nice".

Bless you - you see only the few struggling bits of flora that have managed to survive winter and defy the snails. You don't notice the bricks and slabs from unfinished projects, the empty pots and untidy patches or the weeds growing where nature's bounty of fruit and vegetables should be coming into flower and juicy ripeness.

We turn and made our way back to the seats by the little table where earlier I placed two glasses.

You looked with blank puzzlement when I produced a bottle of non-alcoholic make-believe Prosecco and then smile a little as I pour some in each glass.

Birds sing for us, bees fumble their way through the desperate strands of lavender and a solitary butterfly flutters by in an unexpected flicker of colour.

We sit together in comfortable silence; me - lost in though, you - just lost.

"This feels like a special day" you murmur and we clink glasses. It warms me that you can find such easy happiness.

"Yes," I reply "every day can be special, my lovely." We clink glasses again and continue to sit quietly. The sun must be in my eyes making them water a little.

I know you don't remember, and I won't remind you, that 28 years ago today was indeed a very special day; the garden full of flowers and plants, music playing, guests arriving and mingling and raising glasses of real bubbly in toast, laughter and conversation all around, coloured lights set up ready for the evening; our wedding day reception party.

So many hopes and plans, the future lay bright ahead of us with no hint of the overshadowing clouds and fears that have crept into our lives. Now, there is only now. Yesterday doesn't exist. Tomorrow is a foreign place.

You look around the garden again as if seeing it for the first time and say "It does look nice. This feels like a special day".

PatAnn

Mar 6, 2019
We walk together in the early summer garden. Light rain overnight has left everything smelling fresh and clean and new.

Taking extra care with the two steps up to the end of the path we stand hand in hand for a few moments by the empty flower beds that are bereft of any meaningful form.

Your eyes search around as you say "It does look nice".

Bless you - you see only the few struggling bits of flora that have managed to survive winter and defy the snails. You don't notice the bricks and slabs from unfinished projects, the empty pots and untidy patches or the weeds growing where nature's bounty of fruit and vegetables should be coming into flower and juicy ripeness.

We turn and made our way back to the seats by the little table where earlier I placed two glasses.

You looked with blank puzzlement when I produced a bottle of non-alcoholic make-believe Prosecco and then smile a little as I pour some in each glass.

Birds sing for us, bees fumble their way through the desperate strands of lavender and a solitary butterfly flutters by in an unexpected flicker of colour.

We sit together in comfortable silence; me - lost in though, you - just lost.

"This feels like a special day" you murmur and we clink glasses. It warms me that you can find such easy happiness.

"Yes," I reply "every day can be special, my lovely." We clink glasses again and continue to sit quietly. The sun must be in my eyes making them water a little.

I know you don't remember, and I won't remind you, that 28 years ago today was indeed a very special day; the garden full of flowers and plants, music playing, guests arriving and mingling and raising glasses of real bubbly in toast, laughter and conversation all around, coloured lights set up ready for the evening; our wedding day reception party.

So many hopes and plans, the future lay bright ahead of us with no hint of the overshadowing clouds and fears that have crept into our lives. Now, there is only now. Yesterday doesn't exist. Tomorrow is a foreign place.

You look around the garden again as if seeing it for the first time and say "It does look nice. This feels like a special day".
Beautiful xx

PatAnn

Mar 6, 2019
I find this beautiful it will be our sapphire wedding anniversary on the 22nd of this month thank you xx

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Thank you for sharing so beautifully your special anniversary with us. You capture the poignancy of the situation well.

“So many hopes and plans, the future lay bright ahead of us with no hint of the overshadowing clouds and fears that have crept into our lives. Now, there is only now. Yesterday doesn't exist. Tomorrow is a foreign place.”

What an extraordinary place we all find ourselves in. Bittersweet remembrance. Life’s tapestry-the all too fleeting pleasures and excruciating pain.

So lovely that you knew exactly how to make the day feel special. I admire that. Well done.