Sometimes wonder if the limbo is causing the most anxiety…

Raysie

Jan 30, 2023
Hi all, just a ramble really but felt I needed to just get it off my chest 🙁 still waiting to find out for sure what is happening for mum, she scored 24/30 on her MOCA test and has been diagnosed with MCI and Generalised Anxiety Disorder, with a follow up next week at the memory clinic to discuss her brain scan results in more detail as atrophy was found in the back of her brain. It seems her anxiety has sky rocketed with the worry of what might be, or what might come, and I’ve read that quite a high percentage of those with MCI go on to receive a Dementia diagnosis in the future, so sometimes I wonder if it’s what feels like limbo which is causing so much anxiety for all 😔 im in my early 30s and my brother isn’t even into those yet, so it seems extra cruel in some ways for everyone. Mum has only just retired at 60 and dad isn’t there yet. We are also all still caring for our nan (mums mum), our mum included, which I think is adding to her worries. Sometimes the sadness feels so immense and then I feel guilty because we aren’t even sure what is truly going on yet really so I then feel bad for feeling such sadness, especially when I read what others are dealing with. TP has already been a lifeline for which I am so grateful for and the posts I have read have been invaluable so thank you all xx

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
Hi all, just a ramble really but felt I needed to just get it off my chest 🙁 still waiting to find out for sure what is happening for mum, she scored 24/30 on her MOCA test and has been diagnosed with MCI and Generalised Anxiety Disorder, with a follow up next week at the memory clinic to discuss her brain scan results in more detail as atrophy was found in the back of her brain. It seems her anxiety has sky rocketed with the worry of what might be, or what might come, and I’ve read that quite a high percentage of those with MCI go on to receive a Dementia diagnosis in the future, so sometimes I wonder if it’s what feels like limbo which is causing so much anxiety for all 😔 im in my early 30s and my brother isn’t even into those yet, so it seems extra cruel in some ways for everyone. Mum has only just retired at 60 and dad isn’t there yet. We are also all still caring for our nan (mums mum), our mum included, which I think is adding to her worries. Sometimes the sadness feels so immense and then I feel guilty because we aren’t even sure what is truly going on yet really so I then feel bad for feeling such sadness, especially when I read what others are dealing with. TP has already been a lifeline for which I am so grateful for and the posts I have read have been invaluable so thank you all xx
Hello

Limbo isn't a great place to be. Dad was told he had MCI in January but we feel he has more going on than that but he has other things (won't bore anyone again with the full story) but anxiety is definitely something we see in varying degrees. I wonder in simple terms if the brain connections just can't fathom things out and that just adds to the anxiety. Sometimes connections can re form but if there is significant brain atrophy depending on the area it is bound to have an impact on certain areas of the brain and their functions. We certainly cannot reason with Dad and logical thought processes are not there. Dad has also I might add been an anxious person anyway. I also read that MCI can lead on to dementia but not always and it can be many years away.

You might be able to think about some practical help in the meantime for your Nan. That could take some of the worry away from your Mum although she may also need a distraction too from her thoughts. It will be getting that balance.

You shouldn't feel bad about how you feel it is perfectly normal to feel whatever you might feel. Sadness, grief even, anger. When my mum was terminally ill I found a local charity provided counselling for families dealing with illnesses it helped in the way that you can speak openly to someone neutral. It might be worth thinking of some help for yourself too. My mum never wanted to talk about her illness and we were not allowed to mention it, looking back (I was about late thirties at that time) we respected that but it wasn't easy for us. Getting support is a very valuable it is just sometimes hard to work out what would help and where to get it. It takes time.

💕 sending you a cyber hug

Raysie

Jan 30, 2023
Hello

Limbo isn't a great place to be. Dad was told he had MCI in January but we feel he has more going on than that but he has other things (won't bore anyone again with the full story) but anxiety is definitely something we see in varying degrees. I wonder in simple terms if the brain connections just can't fathom things out and that just adds to the anxiety. Sometimes connections can re form but if there is significant brain atrophy depending on the area it is bound to have an impact on certain areas of the brain and their functions. We certainly cannot reason with Dad and logical thought processes are not there. Dad has also I might add been an anxious person anyway. I also read that MCI can lead on to dementia but not always and it can be many years away.

You might be able to think about some practical help in the meantime for your Nan. That could take some of the worry away from your Mum although she may also need a distraction too from her thoughts. It will be getting that balance.

You shouldn't feel bad about how you feel it is perfectly normal to feel whatever you might feel. Sadness, grief even, anger. When my mum was terminally ill I found a local charity provided counselling for families dealing with illnesses it helped in the way that you can speak openly to someone neutral. It might be worth thinking of some help for yourself too. My mum never wanted to talk about her illness and we were not allowed to mention it, looking back (I was about late thirties at that time) we respected that but it wasn't easy for us. Getting support is a very valuable it is just sometimes hard to work out what would help and where to get it. It takes time.

💕 sending you a cyber hug
Thank you so much for your reply, I’m sorry to hear about your dad, my mum often says she doesn’t know why she feels anxious, however similarly to your dad she has always been an anxious person too. Thank you for the reassurance re the MCI, yes it’s important for me to hold on to the fact it doesn’t always turn into Dementia and hopefully if it does it will be some time away. Definitely a good idea re practical help for nan, we are starting to look into it just to take everything off of mum/us. Thank you also for the suggestion re getting support, I think it would be so helpful for me to speak with someone, I’m quite lucky that I can tap into that at work so think I will look into it, really appreciate your reply, thank you so much again xx