Social Services Needs Assessment - what actually happens?

JessN12

Nov 24, 2021
My Mum has Alzheimer's and my Dad cares for her, he's not coping too well and neither is my mum. I've contract the council for a needs assessment as I had seen on various forum posts thats the best place to start. We are on (a very long) wait list.

But to be honest I'm not sure what they are actually for, like what is the outcome meant to be, do they tell you want type of care they need? Suggest what should be put in place?

Those that have been through this what happened and what was the end result? I'm not sure if I may as well just start with private carers now since the wait is so long. Not that I know how much that will be.

Thanks in Advance.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
If your mum can afford private carers then there is nothing stopping you going ahead with putting something in place, most agencies will do an assessment anyway, some will want a ss needs assessment first. The best way to find out what is available is to ring round and get quotes….its not cheap.
If your mum has savings under £23,500 then the assessment and financial assessment will inform what level of care is needed and who should pay for it. The needs assessment will also inform ss of your parents situation so that in the future they will have a record if/when things change. Your dad could have a carers assessment done at the same time. He has a right to this , they vary in usefulness from authority to authority but he has nothing to lose and again it’s puts his situation on ss radar for the future.
The assessment itself will take the form of a social worker talking to your mum predominantly about her needs. This can cause a bit of a sticking point as many people with dementia do not know they need care and will give a very convincing answer to any questions. Therefore it’s good to be present or to have a word with the social worker separately. Again this can differ from area to area. The out come should be the identification of need ( e.g carers twice a day to do getting up and going to bed all the way to full care in a home ).

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
Hi, @JessN12 . @SAP has given you good advice. When my aunt needed care, I already knew she would be self-funding and I had the names of a few care agencies. The one I went with interviewed us both (necessary because my aunt was stone deaf among other things) and drew up a care plan to our mutual satisfaction. They started immediately and looked after her for four years until she died. It wasn’t cheap, but I didn’t need to involve Social Services at all, other than the OT team who provided certain mobility aids very promptly. The advantage to all that is that you are able to make all the decisions yourself without LA involvement.
Obviously, I don’t know what your parents financial circumstances are, but if waiting lists are so long, would it be possible to arrange some self-funded care, even if it’s only going to be on a short-term basis? It’s a very difficult situation, but so many people on the forum recently are reporting immense difficulties with SS services and it does sound as if you need more immediate support.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife had a care needs assessment fairly early on and a second one a few years later as her dementia worsened. The documents that resulted weren't especially useful other than to confirm what I already knew. Being in touch with social services helped me to get some links and contacts for care providers. It also helped in completing an application for Attendance Allowance (via the Welfare Rights Officer). My wife was self-funding so social services seemed uninterested in helping with a care plan. That was the most disappointing aspect. However I did make use of some of the information to source a carer/befriender, a day centre and respite stays.

If you are in a position to self-fund there's no need to wait for the needs assessment before engaging carers.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
When ever there is a "Care" meeting, you must be there, and prepared to "Let the Cat out of the Bag" to ensure the true situation is known, that way the best and correct Care can be arranged.
As others have warned, the PWD often doesn't realise their full impact on the others around them.
I got a lot of flack from my father, due to the cat not being confined, but he got the Care he needed, and was able to stay at home for much longer.

Bod

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyDav