Social Services advice

tassie devil

Aug 15, 2006
Morning all, jst wondered if anyone has any advice to give/had a similar experience. Mum has just been taken in under a 'section 2'! Layman's terms she's been taken into hospital for 28 days as she wasn't coping. It has now been decided that as she is doing so well in hospital, to send her back home would be cruel to her. Luckily a permanent place has become available.

The situation we have is the house. This was left to her by her Aunty. If anything happens to Mum, the house is to be put into Trust for her 4 children. Mum can only benefit from the interest not the capital of the house (which isn't in her name). When Social Services come to do their assessment, will they take the house into consideration?

Sounds harsh, but now all the nitty gritty has to be sorted! :(

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Tassie devil
welcome to talking point.
Your problem sounds complicated and I think you need expert advice.
Have you tried the Alzheimer's society help line?
Let us know hw you get on
Norman

cariad

Sep 29, 2007
Hi,
You need to get expert advoce as said above. I recall reading that if someone goes into care directly from being sectioned then the social services pay. But there are lots of different sections.
Also, when the house was put into trust would also be pertinent.
Good luck.
As an after thought, I have managed to get continuing care for my mam (NHS will pay all care home costs when I can cope at home no longer). It is possible to get continuing care on mental health needs alone.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi,

If there is a trust in place already (i.e. set up when your mum's Aunty died) providing that your mum was only entitled to live in the property and interest from the money, then it sounds to me as though the capital will not be regarded as your mum's. The interest that the capital produces when the house is sold and the proceeds invested may well be taken into account as part of your mum's income.

This is a complicated area and you need legal advice on the exact terms of the trust.