smoking issue

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
I posted on Sunday about finding hubby smoking in the bedroom at night,we have seperate rooms now and smoking has never been allowed in the house.I roll his cigs for the day every morning then take his cig box off him every night now when he goes to bed.I smelt smoke again tonight so he's obviously stashing some to save.What can I do?He's got so little left in his life to enjoy but this is really making me anxious,it's a fire risk but he just denies it😩

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
evening @sunshine chrissy - I would look online for your local fire service vulnerable person checks. They will come out and advise. I use them a lot in my work with adult mental health. They can supply some fire retardant bedding/ throws, check all ur smoke alarms are in good order and leave you with ashtrays etc. it can’t take away the risk but they can definitely give stuff like the bedding to minimise it.
There may be other tech for dementia clients they’re aware of but I haven’t used in my work.
Theyre pretty good at ‘working‘ difficult people so ur Hubble may even enjoy their visit.xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree with @sdmhred

It`s hard enough to stop smoking when you`re well.

In addition to the above make sure all ashtrays have a big bowl. Ends of cigarettes are more likely to fall in than fall out.

Rugby kate

Nov 27, 2019
Really, really fireproof duvet. Dad used to smoke rollies in bed, and at least they go out when left, but he set the duvet on fire once when he dropped it.

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
When my late stepdad needed to go into residential care, mum had selected a very nice one that wasn't too far away from where they lived, but because the home had a strict No Smoking policy stepdad refused to move to that home and mum had to find one that did allow residents to smoke. The home selected finally, and where stepdad died, was on what mum described as not a very salubrious area of town and was further away but stepdad was happy there because he was allowed to smoke.

At one time both stepdad and mum were 50-a-day smokers but at the time of his death mum had stopped smoking twenty years before. and wouldn't allow stepdad to smoke inside the house (he had to go outside or into the garden shed for a ciggie) Stepdad was a 20-a-day smoker when he died.