1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Tess W

Tess W Registered User

Jul 25, 2015
    Inverness
    Hi. I'm Tess and have been diagnosed with small vessel disease after having a stroke-like event. I'm still waiting for an appointment with the neurologist so all I know is that I have this and I want to find out more about what it means for me. My GP seems reluctant to discuss it.

2. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Hello Tess, and welcome to TP. I'm so sorry to hear about what has brought you here.

I can understand how frustrating it must be that the GP is reluctant to talk about your problem. Of course, it could be that he knows little about - this is what people sometimes report on here.

I'm sure you will find members who can help by starting your own thread here:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=71

3. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
  4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  5. maryw

maryw Registered User

Nov 16, 2008
    Surrey
    Hi Tess, and welcome to TP. I have a thread entitled "small vessel disease" in the Tea Room, which I started in order to share knowledge. I was worried about my husband for some years before he had a major stroke and the MRI confirmed SVD. He is taking part in research at a major teaching hospital establishing whether control of blood pressure reduces any cognitive impairment. He is in the group, which is keeping blood pressure low.

We live totally in the present, savouring every day. The main changes I have noticed are lack of being able to make a decision, however trivial, emotionalism (cries at the slightest emotional moment), gait changes (wide-based), mobility changes (much slower) and some short-term memory changes, and irritability. Most people would not notice any of those changes but I do as I live with him. His MRI scan 2 years ago revealed multiple lacunar infarcts, of which he had been unaware. He was always at risk of these strokes due to family genetic condition of atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) and hypertension.

Life continues as normal, just a little slower. Hope this helps!

6. maryw

maryw Registered User

Nov 16, 2008
    Surrey
  7. Tess W

Tess W Registered User

Jul 25, 2015
    Inverness
    Yes, it does, Mary. Thank you! My best thoughts are with you and your husband.

8. Tess W

Tess W Registered User

Jul 25, 2015
    Inverness
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has posted and given me info, I really appreciate it.

9. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    My uncle had small vessel disease, it did not cause dementia but affected the signals from his brain to his legs which made his walking slower as he had to concentrate on where he wanted to move his feet to.