Small successes, in an ever-progressively more difficult situation.

LewyDementiaCarer

Mar 5, 2024
Hi guys, I know none of us are on an easy road, especially if you are caring for a loved one at home, but I thought I'd make a thread on a few small things (and a few big) that really helped us on this journey as it progressed. Please share your small successes too that helped temporarily make things a lot easier & better for your loved ones, together we are stronger. :)

Here's my list in approximate chronological order and what triggered us to make each changes:

At the Beginning:
  • Wearable Help Button & Pocket Alarm (Battery Operated) - falls & memory issues.
  • Automatic Heat/Motion Sensor Light in Bathroom - getting lost in bathroom, panic attack, turning light off by mistake.
  • Walker - difficulty walking with a stick
  • Nightlight (USB Chargeable) - disorientation and getting lost at night, unable to find light switches
  • Landline Telephone with Big Buttons & 1 button speed-dial - difficulty using the phone
  • Side Rails For Bed - Night disturbances & lack of balance
  • Baby Monitor with Video (To Enable Constant Monitoring for Safety without Constant Disturbing them)
  • Airplane Wheelchair To get To Bathroom - Loss of muscle strength, balance & coordination
  • Kitchen Egg Timer - Difficulty reading a clock, losing track of time and frustration with being disturbed
  • Removing Unnecessary Clutter & Highly patterned Fabrics - Triggering uncomfortable hallucinations & agitation
Becoming Bed-Bound/Reduced Mobility
  • Side Fastening Nappies & Waterproof Disposable Bed Pads
  • Air Mattress (To Prevent Pressure Sores) -becoming more bedbound
  • Hospital Bed with side rails (Elevation & Adjustable) - for changing & cleaning in bed
  • Adjustable Bed Table On Wheels (To Eat & Use in Bed)
  • Small Trolley on Wheels (For Changing & Cleaning Items)
  • Shampoo Caps (For Dry Washing Hair in Bed)
  • Hospital Gowns (That Fasten at the Back) - For comfort & easy changing
Approaching End Of Life:
  • Thickened Liquids & Dissolvable Medications - Trouble chewing, swallowing & beginning to cough with thin liquids
  • Homemade Soft & Pureed Food - Eating less & less, taking longer and longer + trouble swallowing & chewing pasta, rice, bread, biscuits etc.
  • Neck Pillow & Extra Support Pillows - Falling sideways when sitting in bed & difficulty keeping head up.
Please share any things that you found helpful along the way...

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
For me the best bit of kit was the falls prevention detector using infra red. A unit went by mum’s bed and as soon as her legs moved out it would set off an alert in my room - I am sure it prevented many falls…….and it enabled me to sleep between wake ups as I had every confidence she couldn’t get up without me knowing!

LewyDementiaCarer

Mar 5, 2024
For me the best bit of kit was the falls prevention detector using infra red. A unit went by mum’s bed and as soon as her legs moved out it would set off an alert in my room - I am sure it prevented many falls…….and it enabled me to sleep between wake ups as I had every confidence she couldn’t get up without me knowing!
Oh that sounds very helpful, thanks for sharing. Can you get these on Amazon etc or do you have to order through a medical provider?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The best thing we had was an OT assessment of the house. She organised grab handles and rails around the house, risers for chairs and (best of all) a swivel chair that fitted over the bath so that OH could be showered. He still liked having a shower, but couldnt get into the bath or stand to shower. We could have had a wet room fitted, of course, but this was much less disruption

OH wouldnt wear his falls detector, but TBF, as I was with him the crash usually alerted me.....

LewyDementiaCarer

Mar 5, 2024
The best thing we had was an OT assessment of the house. She organised grab handles and rails around the house, risers for chairs and (best of all) a swivel chair that fitted over the bath so that OH could be showered. He still liked having a shower, but couldnt get into the bath or stand to shower. We could have had a wet room fitted, of course, but this was much less disruption

OH wouldnt wear his falls detector, but TBF, as I was with him the crash usually alerted me.....
Oh yes, I forgot about all the grab handles, shower seat and we has a raised toilet seat too which really helped with mobility issues. Thank you for sharing! :)