Small Kindnesses. Pay It Forward. Pass It On

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
how are you going to include disabled carers that cant leave the house? i get use to missing out. the unpaid carers support also dont do inclusion
That may be the challenge that you take up. Any volunteers or ideas that would help to include disabled carers? Doing my best here to get something started.

Last edited:

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
no change there then. you can have a carer, cared for, but not disabled carer. takes more imagination
There is a new thread where you may like to express your concerns. Only you can say what you want

Can you help to build more inclusive dementia services?​

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
@Alisongs I don't want to be negative about your aims but I think you need to take into account the fact that every case of dementia is different so every carer has different problems. My husband is now very loving and caring but he hates to be apart from me for even a few minutes. This means I can't go out and leave him alone or with a carer. Even going somewhere like Wetherspoons would be difficult for me because he would not cope with me being gone as long as it takes for me to get to the toilets (three flights of stairs at our local one). I am lucky that we can still go out but if that changes, I will stuck indoors indefinitely.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
@Alisongs I don't want to be negative about your aims but I think you need to take into account the fact that every case of dementia is different so every carer has different problems. My husband is now very loving and caring but he hates to be apart from me for even a few minutes. This means I can't go out and leave him alone or with a carer. Even going somewhere like Wetherspoons would be difficult for me because he would not cope with me being gone as long as it takes for me to get to the toilets (three flights of stairs at our local one). I am lucky that we can still go out but if that changes, I will stuck indoors indefinitely.
Yes I appreciate that there can be problems, but I m not dismissing them, nor can I speak for others with those problems.
My OH could not really be alone at all for months before his recent admission to hospital as his dementia meant he inadvertently abused his diet and medications for Diabetes Type 1 and Parkinsons, even scoffing food when I was in the next room. I was reduced to going into town, with black eyes and a head ache from a bad fall, and catching the next bus home just to pick up undelivered prescription items, and essentials supposedly out of stock after an online order. If others can benefit from the ideas, good on them. OH has been diagnosed with brittle (unstable) diabetes, that cannot be controlled well even in a medical setting..... I'm trying to make others feel better by finding positivity in small things, that I may not be able to do myself. Wallowing in my miserable lack of a life just made me more miserable. I'm trying to gather together supportive ideas for other struggles. I'm thinking outside my box so I'm not imprisoned by my box. Some ideas may help some, and not others. These are not all my ideas. There is no one size fits all

Last edited:

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
For me there was kindness given and taken today. As I was about to turn left onto a small residential road a funeral hearse appeared. I nodded and waited and then mourning car after mourning car appeared - probably 6 or 7 in all. I nodded to each in respect. As the last one drove off and I could make my turn, the driver wound down his window and said ‘thank you, you will be remembered’…almost had me in tears then!

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
For me there was kindness given and taken today. As I was about to turn left onto a small residential road a funeral hearse appeared. I nodded and waited and then mourning car after mourning car appeared - probably 6 or 7 in all. I nodded to each in respect. As the last one drove off and I could make my turn, the driver wound down his window and said ‘thank you, you will be remembered’…almost had me in tears then!
And you will be remembered for your respect and kindness by every single one of those mourners for the rest of their lives

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I think that you had good intentions of thinking of small acts of kindness but went too far with the pub. It just emphasises what some of us are not able to do. I'm teetotal as well. It just demonstrated lack of thought and understanding of others difficulties. 💐for the thought

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Oh you will be remembered, my dad died 9 years ago and to this day I have a clear picture in my head of a group of older men who were having a drink outside all standing and removing their various hats or cap and bowing their head. I did mouth thank you to them but it was a very busy road . The respect was overwhelming .

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
Oh you will be remembered, my dad died 9 years ago and to this day I have a clear picture in my head of a group of older men who were having a drink outside all standing and removing their various hats or cap and bowing their head. I did mouth thank you to them but it was a very busy road . The respect was overwhelming .
♥️

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
When I worked at a carers centre we were able to get the local Morrisons to pack up some picnics for us to take to carers we worked with during the first lock down. We had an online tea party and carers were able to enjoy their tea picnic. And the carers who couldn’t access on line got a visit anyway with a picnic and a chat on the door step.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
When I worked at a carers centre we were able to get the local Morrisons to pack up some picnics for us to take to carers we worked with during the first lock down. We had an online tea party and carers were able to enjoy their tea picnic. And the carers who couldn’t access on line got a visit anyway with a picnic and a chat on the door step
So glad I ordered my friend a Tea for Two box yesterday

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
And today , I received yet another offer by a lovely man , to push my oh wheelchair up an incline for me. There are are some lovely people around 😊

Does anyone know if social services will provide a power pack for the wheelchair under equipment under £1000? I was told to not order by the hospital until the chair arrived and had written permission. Chair came this morning . I've emailed for permission.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
And today , I received yet another offer by a lovely man , to push my oh wheelchair up an incline for me. There are are some lovely people around 😊

Does anyone know if social services will provide a power pack for the wheelchair under equipment under £1000? I was told to not order by the hospital until the chair arrived and had written permission. Chair came this morning . I've emailed for permission.
Fingers crossed 🤞