Sleeps all the time

abc3

Nov 22, 2023
My wife has been diagnosed with late stage dementia. She is in a memory care facility. She is wheel chair bound. Sleeps all the time. Hard to wake up. When she is awake she understands more than she is able to communicate. How do I spend a couple hours a day with her? What to do? Currently, I read to her; play music in her room; show her photo albums. Any other suggestions?

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hello @abc3, it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with what you are currently doing - they are all things that I used to do for my husband - as well as just holding his hand.

I have heard that some also enjoy the tactile experience of a gentle hand massage - if your wife doesn't have painful hands would she cope with you perhaps gently massaging a little hand cream into them for instance?

As well as music, I used to play my husband nature sounds like rain, waterfalls, birds, waves breaking on the shore, leaves rustling, the wind blowing etc - there are lots of free recordings on apps and YouTube available.

abc3

Nov 22, 2023
Hello @abc3, it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with what you are currently doing - they are all things that I used to do for my husband - as well as just holding his hand.

I have heard that some also enjoy the tactile experience of a gentle hand massage - if your wife doesn't have painful hands would she cope with you perhaps gently massaging a little hand cream into them for instance?

As well as music, I used to play my husband nature sounds like rain, waterfalls, birds, waves breaking on the shore, leaves rustling, the wind blowing etc - there are lots of free recordings on apps and YouTube available.
Thanks for these ideas. Actually, I do soft massages and hand creme periodically; maybe I need to do it more.

MrWobbles

May 19, 2023
This may not apply but my wife sleeps a lot, too. I love lying on the bed with her because I can stroke, hold and caress her with much more freedom and even fall asleep, too. It also makes us feel more equal - well it works for me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kare143