Sleeping

Mammajan

Sep 11, 2018
can anyone tell me if it is normal to sleep for about 16-18 hours a day. My oh seems to be sleeping so much.I must admit I quite like the few hours in the afternoon to catch up with housework and washing, but it doesn’t seem right. He sleeps almost 11 hours at night and is then asleep after breakfast and again after lunch. He’s getting more and more confused and wants me with him all the time when he’s awake. ( or which ever woman I am at the moment, sister, daughter or whoever) but when he’s awake I have to help with washing and dressing, and every thing else. The sleeping is fairly new though.is this yet another stage of this slow death?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
This excessive sleeping seems to be common. My wife also sleeps a lot.

I understand that it’s partly down to exhaustion from trying to cope with an ever more confusing world. This confusion can also explain the clingy behaviour. Of course, medication can also contribute.

In addition, this sleeping and clinging can be a result of depression and anxiety as these issues are also common with dementia. If you are worried a chat with the GP may be useful.

Last edited:

Mammajan

Sep 11, 2018
This excessive sleeping seems to be common. My wife also sleeps a lot.

I understand that it’s partly down to exhaustion from trying to cope with an ever more confusing world, which also explains the clingy behaviour. Of course, medication can also contribute.

In addition this sleeping and clinging can be a result of depression and anxiety as these issues are also common with dementia. If you are worried a chat with the GP may be useful.
Not over worried if it is common with others. . Thankyou for answering.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes I find this too nowadays. It seems to me like a steady winding down. The boredom of being trapped in this situation as a carer is mind numbing.

Mammajan

Sep 11, 2018
Yes I find this too nowadays. It seems to me like a steady winding down. The boredom of being trapped in this situation as a carer is mind numbing.
Yes it’s boring but at least it’s a break from the ridiculous conversation. I often wonder what’s going on in his mind, none of it makes sense.!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare