Sleeping Tablets

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Mum has recently had a few nights of disturbed sleep.
Her pattern had been to only be awake long enough to have petsonal care/shower etc and eat. The rest of the time she is snuggled up asleep or dozing.
Occasionally she will get up in the night and wander but then unable to find her way back to bed so l have found her either anxious as she is lost or trying to sleep on a chair somewhete in the (my) house.l think she is fine here, hopefully better for her than a care home, she has great daily carers but l am responsible overnight and these awake nights are killing me ( l work full time from home)
She already takes Rispiridone which keeps her anxiety under control most of the time but l wondered about the occasional sleeping tablet on the nights she is awake.
Would sleeping tablets be prescribed for someone with dementia?
If given how quickly they work?
I am hoping this stage passes and she gets back into her old regular sleep pattern so the tablets would only be 'as needed'

iffi21

Jul 16, 2019
My father has last stage AD and he's on sleeping tablets for past many years. Disturbed sleeping patterns is a common issue with dementia in my opinion. You should ask her doctor to prescribe her sleeping pills and with time you can decrease or increase the quantity as the need may be. Hopefully as you said she'll settle in a good routine and none of it'll be required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdieB