Sleep

Defiance

Aug 17, 2022
I have started having trouble going to sleep at night I lay awake for several hours and when I do drop off I am constantly waking up. I can drop off during the day no problem but not at night. I have alzheimers and vascular dementia can anyone tell me if this is normal as I always went sleep very quickly. Thank you.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Defiance yes it is quite common for people who have dementia to have issues with their sleep patterns. I would suggest that you have a chat with your GP regarding this issue.

MatthewB

Oct 3, 2022
Arkansas
Mr. Defiance. I'm can't to say is normally or not but is true on me can say that cause I most get up maybe is 2 is 2 on the morning time and I'm can't go more sleep so I'm make a coffee pot and read some time and go to the edge of the woods and can't get too much away from the light or is fall falling down but when sun finally is come I'm can walk in them woods so is not all bad . Maybe you got some woods or some walking place. ? Then can get wore out to more sleep maybe

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Hi MatthewB,
I have just read your February post about sleep. I have had a similar problem to you, and found various ways to help solve it.
The first thing I did was give up coffee because the caffeine in it will keep you awake. Tea also has caffeine too, though less, so I replaced it with rooibos tea, which is totally caffeine free. It is also easy to get TikTok rooibos tea which has vanilla in it to make it sweeter. I like it very much!
Like you, I found walking in woods also helped and since, because I live in the North, I twice spotted a mother deer and her two Bambi feeding on the vegetation! On one occasion they were almost completely camouflaged in a stand of small trees and wee bushes. Couldn’t believe my eyes!
David Joseph

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Defiance , @MatthewB and @David Joseph

I used to find the more I tried to sleep the worse it was. If I have problems sleeping now, I decide not to let it bother me. I lie quietly and listen to my breathing or I put on some soothing music and listen to that.

Listening to your breathing is very calming. It is a form of meditation.

I hope this helps.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I find listening to recordings of natural sounds such as gently falling rain or the sound of waves relaxing and sleep inducing.