Sleep and inattention

opaljewels

Mar 24, 2016
Potteries
Mum has dementia and is on Acricept (10mg) . Not sure if having any effect whatsoever as she may be too far along for the medication to be effective. We try to keep her occupied, but working full time it's struggle. Her sleeping patterns are all over the place and she seems to retreat to bed (fully dressed of course) on a whim (today at mid-day my sister has found her). She often goes to bed at anything from 5-6pm. How do others cope - is this normal ?
Advised to get mum out and about to local community gatherings, but unless 1 of us it at home to take her or make sure she's in for collection is not feasible unless we give up work.
What part of Dementia do these people not understand when they tell me what to do in that they have no concept of time/day etc. If we dare mention to Mum she is going out then she's either off on her own or off out the same every day and never at the right time.
She can't read a book except look at same pages of local history / photo albums so this is limited.
She used to knit/ make rugs/ garden/ embroider/ tapestry etc
TV- just get's put back to BBC1 or switched off and she just sits in the kitchen.
I despair - getting stressed and resentful. The only thing of interest to her is food. I can stand there with her meal and that's all she focuses on- I may as well talk to a brick wall.
Sorry- just a rant and stress relief post. I'll read this back to myself later and try & calm down. It's just such hard work dealing with a shell of Mum.
Thanks.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you can get her approved for a day care centre, they usually collect and drop people off again via transport bus - at least the council-run ones here do.
Plus you could get a befriending service in place. These people can come to her house of they can take her out for walks or to a lunch club. There are things available, you just need to find them!
Start off with a needs assessments by Adult Social Services. They can give the carer one as well - in fact you are entitled to one by law.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch