Sister, 53 just diagnosed with Alzheimer's

HMack

Feb 29, 2024
Hi all, my sister has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the age of 53. I am absolutely reeling. She has had problems with memory and cognitive issues for some time but the diagnosis is a big shock. She has a history of complex health needs after a brain tumour as a child. Is anyone else in a similar position? The situation feels hopeless. Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome HMack.a
My 50th birthday present to my wife was quit work, I can pay all the bills, the reason, she phoned me from work because she couldn't remember how to get the bus home. I just put it down to stress, kids all grown up, menopause or whatever, buried my head in the sand and got on with life.
Until...things happened and as I was never allowed out of her sight my doctors appointment was for her, the surgery knew that and to be fair we got fast tracked as early onset AZ was diagnosed.
As you say 53 is unusually young and given the brain tumour issue as a child which can't be a positive, but never give up hope, sometimes its all we have left. K

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @HMack and welcome, but so sorry to hear about your sisters diagnosis at such a young age, it's understandable that this has been a shock. This is a very supportive place and we have members here with experience of young on-set dementia so people will understand and offer support and advice if they can. The Dementia Support Line is also very good in terms of the help they can offer if you would like to talk things through with someone (details below):

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/dementia-support-line

There is a forum here specifically for younger people with dementia which you may find useful, and the attached factsheet may be helpful too and it contains details of how to find local support.

HMack

Feb 29, 2024
Hello and welcome HMack.a
My 50th birthday present to my wife was quit work, I can pay all the bills, the reason, she phoned me from work because she couldn't remember how to get the bus home. I just put it down to stress, kids all grown up, menopause or whatever, buried my head in the sand and got on with life.
Until...things happened and as I was never allowed out of her sight my doctors appointment was for her, the surgery knew that and to be fair we got fast tracked as early onset AZ was diagnosed.
As you say 53 is unusually young and given the brain tumour issue as a child which can't be a positive, but never give up hope, sometimes its all we have left. K
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated 🙏. It's 3 weeks since I found out, so early days. So sorry to hear about your experience. Can I ask what support you received? The G.p has said it's too early to consider a care plan. Although my sister has already said she may want it. Thanks

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Hi all, my sister has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the age of 53. I am absolutely reeling. She has had problems with memory and cognitive issues for some time but the diagnosis is a big shock. She has a history of complex health needs after a brain tumour as a child. Is anyone else in a similar position? The situation feels hopeless. Thanks

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Can understand how you feel, my brother was diagnosed at 58 but symptoms showed few years before but due to covid and lockdowns we didn't see much of him. He is single and lives alone but care package now in place. Consultant said power of attorney priority and seeking help and information from local social services.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As someone who was (many years ago) an NHS nurse, my wife was too and mum was SRN and a qualified midwife on top, a lot of medical knowledge between the 3 of us.
Maybe as a man looking after women I got preferential treatment, maybe because we had all worked NHS, but I've no complaints about the help we were offered, at the time, but times change.
All I can say that as someone recovering/recovered from viral encephalitis the resettlement team still do a lot for me or would if I cared to ask.
I post on here as someone who has been sectioned, subject to a DoLSO, but in my case it was viral and I am now better, luckily. K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980