signs

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
I read a post "what are we looking for" we are in the EOL stage with mum and have been for six weeks now , She is in NH and I ask for updates every day when I go in. I was with her last night she is on an very low dose fentanyl patch with a top up of paracetamol, last night I noticed her neck is very stiff and her head was leaning back.
Is this a sign?
we saw the doc last week and she said the same as the NH there is no time scale but she does not foresee this stretching out for longer than a month.
are there any other signs?
Thank you and thinking of everyone in this horrible limbo of end of life with dementia it is unfathomable to me

Betty74

Apr 4, 2024
I am so sorry to read how difficult this sounds Jane3 I have no experiencer as yet and hope someone with support to offer will be along soon.
Sending kind thoughts to you all and hoping for peace.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
On YouTube, I’ve found the series of short videos by ‘Hospice Nurse Julie’ to be very informative and factual about the dying process, whilst being kind and respectful. She has a lot of useful information about what you’ll see, what the dying person seems to experience, and the sorts of things you can do.

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
I have looked at the vids Hospice nurse Julie, very informative would recomend but not easy to watch. thank you.
I have requested tat the GP checks mum out on her visit to the home tmrw as I think she is starting to aspirate an also I mentioned the tightening of her neck. I might not be there when th doc visits as you never know what time it will be , I was assured by the nursing assistant that she would be there and bring it up with the doc.

mhw

Apr 4, 2024
the only clue I have ever found is that hospice nurses look for mottling of the hands and feet as a sign to tell relatives they have hours left to come in ...