Sibling demanding access to my Dads money.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
@Rayreadynow, you seem to be confused about how powers of attorney work. It's up to the donor who is appointed as an attorney in a power of attorney and the donor doesn't have to inform anyone other than the attorneys that they have drawn one up.

I don't know exactly how deputyship works as both people I was involved with had powers of attorney.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
POA do not have any real over sight or monitoring from the Office of the Public Guardian. I would be interested to know why you did not put all your siblings on the POA application, it would have been the right thing to do.
The decision is up to the donor, not the Attorney/s. The donor may have had a perfectly valid reason for their choice of Attorney.
The Banjoman chose me because he trusted me and because I was the closest person to him. He didn’t think his children were capable enough, one of them couldn’t even address a letter to him correctly!

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
@Rayreadynow, you seem to be confused about how powers of attorney work. It's up to the donor who is appointed as an attorney in a power of attorney and the donor doesn't have to inform anyone other than the attorneys that they have drawn one up.

I don't know exactly how deputyship works as both people I was involved with had powers of attorney.
Not confused. But why would you not inform other siblings that you had applied for a POA, thats all I am saying.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
It's the *donor* who selects the attorneys and sends off the document to be registered. The attorneys just agree to be appointed and sign the document. The donor can tell the non-attorneys what s/he has done or not, as s/he wishes. It's not up to the attorneys to tell anyone anything.

I assume that you feel that you should have been appointed as an attorney but weren't and are aggrieved about this. The donor must have had his/her reasons for his/her choice of attorney(s).

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
The local authority would regard this as deprivation of assets. I know something about invisibles and they are more interested in money not caring. Hide your dad's cards and try to have as little to do with them as possible.

MaNaAk

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
The local authority would regard this as deprivation of assets. I know something about invisibles and they are more interested in money not caring. Hide your dad's cards and try to have as little to do with them as possible.

MaNaAk
Really? The LA trying to escape there responsibility ...I do hope not!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
POA do not have any real over sight or monitoring from the Office of the Public Guardian. I would be interested to know why you did not put all your siblings on the POA application, it would have been the right thing to do.
They are answerable to them.
As has been said before, its up to the person who they appoint as POA, not just everyone that think they should have a go, gets a go.

LA doesnt even come into it!