Shower vs wet room

Owl2172

Jan 21, 2018
Christchurch, Dorset
Hi, my wife who is 57, has early onset Az. She is not too bad at the moment but is beginning to experience some mobility issues. In particular she is finding it hard to use our shower, which is above the bath. She has not been able to use a bath for a few years as she has two hip replacements. It is obvious that we need something different to enable her to keep clean (she is beginning to have some continence problems as well).
My question is, what have others found works? The bathroom will have to be modified so do I go for a disabled shower cubicle with a seat or a wet room? I can see that, in time, a cubicle could be a frightening thing for her to use, even if I got in with her, or am I wrong in thinking that?? Any advice welcome!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Would she be able to use a shower board? It enabled my OH to sit on it while being showered and all he had to do to get in or out was swing his legs. We got it for free via an OT.

image.jpeg

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
My thoughts would be wet room every time , my mum has Alzheimer’s and she has a corner enclosed shower, she needs showering everyday and it’s so awkward and lack of space. Wish it was a wet room

allchange

Nov 29, 2015
A wetroom is also more likely to be zimmer frame/wheelchair accessible should this become necessary. It is also easier to keep clean.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We have the option of both at our extra support housing. The flat has a wetroom which is very easy to use, it has a chair under the shower. There is also an adapted bathroom with a chair lift on the bath which my OH prefers, although she needs the trained carers to work that properly. Does your wife have carers coming in? There are some things OH would prefer to do with carers than with me, your wife may be different of course.

J3nny

Aug 4, 2016
Hi , my husband is 57 also and was diagnosed with Parkinsons and Dementia at the age of 49. We had an extension to our house last year to accommodate a larger bedroom with attached wet room. The wet room is a god send,it had nonslip tiles put down,a higher toilet and extra wide doorway. Social Services came and put in grab rails,shower chair and toilet bars. It has made things so much easier and safer.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband had a bad fall in the shower cubicle two years ago so I had it ripped out and a walk in wet room instead. It is in his en suite and very simple. The plumber advised wet wall and waterproof floor tiles with a shower tray and glass dividing wall. There was room for a corner sink and of course the toilet itself. Within weeks it was thoroughly tested when he had four or five days of sickness and vomiting. Hosing him down was much easier.

The total cost would have been around £4000 but we didn't have to pay VAT as he had dementia so it was around £3400. A letter from your doctor to the Plumber or builder is all that is needed for them to deduct the tax.

Last edited:

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
My husband had a bad fall in the shower cubicle two years ago so I had it ripped out and a walk in wet room instead. It is in his en suite and very simple. The plumber advised wet wall and waterproof floor tiles with a shower tray and glass dividing wall. There was room for a corner sink and of course the toilet itself. Within weeks it was thoroughly tested when he had four or five days of sickness and vomiting. Hosing him down was much easier.

The total cost would have been around £4000 but we didn't have to pay VAT as he had dementia so it was around £3400. A letter from your doctor to the Plumber or builder is all that is needed for them to deduct the tax.
Thank you very much for this information.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Could I also suggest that you get a shower head that has an attached hand spray as well? This gives you a whole lot more options and I always spray the walls down following use and it really does make a big difference to keeping it clean.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I have being trying to get zero-rated VAT units ( walk in shower) but stores are not willing to supply. My plumber is not vat registered, so I hoped to buy the materials myself.

Contractors who aren't VAT registered can’t reclaim the VAT on the materials they buy.
Instead, they can help you arrange for the materials to be supplied VAT-free direct to you
from a VAT-registered supplier. You’ll need to give the VAT-registered supplier of the goods
(for example a builders’ merchant or DIY store) a copy of your eligibility declaration and
evidence from your contractor that you’re paying them to do the eligible work for you.
If you do the work yourself or a friend, neighbour or member of your family does the work for
you free of charge the materials can’t be bought VAT free.

Page2
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...sabled_Helpsheet__Construction_-final__2_.pdf

Owl2172

Jan 21, 2018
Christchurch, Dorset
This has been a very helpful discussion. We are going to have a wet room installed. One further question please - is it best to have a shower with a half height partition or full? I guess that half is better as I can help my OH to wash when I need to. Any thoughts good people?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
It's about two years since ours was done and I'm very pleased. We have full height and I stand at the front and hand in what is needed. I can lean in and take the shower head and hose him down if I feel it's needed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 759
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 754

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Unlike Marion, I would have a shower or wet room with the controls easily available from outside the shower. This is because OH forgot how to turn the water off, which in turn meant a wet arm for me when I was trying to do so.
I like the idea of a wet room which half height division across the washing area. Again, easier to help wash pwd without getting wet yourself.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Unlike Marion, I would have a shower or wet room with the controls easily available from outside the shower. This is because OH forgot how to turn the water off, which in turn meant a wet arm for me when I was trying to do so.
I like the idea of a wet room which half height division across the washing area. Again, easier to help wash pwd without getting wet yourself.
Thus far I have never got wet. I approach the taps from the left if I have to and you'll notice the head points to the right. I try to involve John in switching the tap off but always have to be there as he would just as easily meddle with the thermostat. It's always worth chatting to your builder for ideas though. I was advised against ceramic tiles as they're colder and the wet wall is wearing well and very easy to keep clean.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Thus far I have never got wet. I approach the taps from the left if I have to and you'll notice the head points to the right. I try to involve John in switching the tap off but always have to be there as he would just as easily meddle with the thermostat. It's always worth chatting to your builder for ideas though. I was advised against ceramic tiles as they're colder and the wet wall is wearing well and very easy to keep clean.

I was going to ask what you had on the walls.

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi.. I've only just converted our bathroom to a wetroom and so far I have no regrets. My wife has mobility and balance problems so one of the carers suggested sitting in the bath rather than standing reducing the risk of falling . Fine until one day she just couldn't stand up to get out. So on the advice from the nhs 111 line an ambulance was sent. We were then lent a battery powered chair for the bath. As a stop gap measure that was fine. But my mind was made up. A wet room . It's now complete and she actually enjoys showering now. With a fold up seat fastened to the wall , a half height shower screen, grab handles and an easily adjusted and removable shower head life is much easier . I've also just bought a shampoo shield, shower and hair washing is no longer a chore. The carers give it 10/10 Best decision I've made for a long time. And that's coming from someone who can't seem to get anything right of late ☺ Al.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch