Shocked how fast my mother has deteriorated

Sharin

Aug 30, 2019
Hi,
I'm finding it realky hard to accept how quickly my mother has gone downhill.
Six weeks ago she was walking, eating & drinking well.
She started to refuse getting up in the mornings. Some of her carers were not helping her to get up as much as they could have. This progressed to her getting up for about 3 or 4 hrs a day.
She was eating & drinking well when up but of course we could only get her to take so much in such a short space if time.
Then she refused to get up at all & refusing all care. She was admitted to hospital with suspect uti as bloods showed raised infection markers.
I thought, treat the infection & she would improve but that hasn't happened.
My mother is now so weak. She hasn't eaten much in almost three weeks. They are going to sedate her with lorazepam prior to personal hygiene as she becomes distressed during this time but sleeps & is peaceful at all other times.
It's all happened in the space of about six weeks & I didn't expect it to happen like this.
It's been a tough life...
I lost a baby girl age 3mths - 15 yrs ago, then my eldest son age 26 - 4yrs ago, my 13 yr old daughter tried to end her life in March this year & is still depressed & anxious. Now my mother... compared to losing a child this is very different but it still hurts.
My very best wishes to you all for a better day & some special moments.
Sharin xxx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@Sharin that is a lot to deal with. Dementia doesn’t follow a timetable I’m afraid and does what it wants. On 9th Sept my husband walked to the taxi with his two sticks and when we reached his respite home he walked into it and settled down with tea and biscuits while I unpacked. He fell on that first day and broke his hip and in that short space of time is now a shadow of who he was. Cannot walk, barely eats, speech disappearing rapidly.

When life gets that bad prolonging it seems worse than the alternative. Best wishes to you and strength.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry @Sharin
Unfortunately, infections of any sort can progress dementia - sometimes quite dramatically
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi,
I'm finding it realky hard to accept how quickly my mother has gone downhill.
Six weeks ago she was walking, eating & drinking well.
She started to refuse getting up in the mornings. Some of her carers were not helping her to get up as much as they could have. This progressed to her getting up for about 3 or 4 hrs a day.
She was eating & drinking well when up but of course we could only get her to take so much in such a short space if time.
Then she refused to get up at all & refusing all care. She was admitted to hospital with suspect uti as bloods showed raised infection markers.
I thought, treat the infection & she would improve but that hasn't happened.
My mother is now so weak. She hasn't eaten much in almost three weeks. They are going to sedate her with lorazepam prior to personal hygiene as she becomes distressed during this time but sleeps & is peaceful at all other times.
It's all happened in the space of about six weeks & I didn't expect it to happen like this.
It's been a tough life...
I lost a baby girl age 3mths - 15 yrs ago, then my eldest son age 26 - 4yrs ago, my 13 yr old daughter tried to end her life in March this year & is still depressed & anxious. Now my mother... compared to losing a child this is very different but it still hurts.
My very best wishes to you all for a better day & some special moments.
Sharin xxx
My mother-in-law deteriorated very quickly last summer. She had been living on her own with carers three times a day, but in the heatwave last year, she became ill. She went into hospital with dehydration and during the 2 weeks there, she lost all her mobility. In her own home, she had been able to move around on her own, but suddenly it was as if she couldn't remember how to walk. Suddenly she didn't know who we were. My husband made a decision that she needed 24/7 supervision and she went into care

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireBryceSmith