Shingles!

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Jennifer,

I missed the start of this thread as I was away and just wanted to say how sorry I am that your Mum has shingles. I've never had them (had chicken pox at 5 and so always that possibility) but I have heard how painful they can be.

No suggestions as to how to stop her scratching her face. With dogs they put those lamp shades on don't they? (Never very successful, our dogs just cannoned around the house bull in a china shop style). Can't think how this could be improvised for your poor mother.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Sue thanks for the giggle - I just have this image of a cone round my mother's neck. Because she can no longer really be transported, the dermatologist is coming out to her, which should, theoretically, be fairly soon.

No I have never found those post surgical cones much use with my dogs either.

Alex - I may yet resort to your idea. I suspect that the nursing home wouldn't do it, but I'm quite prepared to do it myself.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I've had an idea, but I'm not sure that it would work. Do you think "bags" that go over the hands and are strapped around the wrists might work? She would be able to move her fingers but if I used buckles I don't think she could remove them. I've got some "cuddleskin" fabric in my stash (satin on one side, smooth flannel on the other) which might be suitable.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Jennifer,
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've heard shingles is incredibly painful & itchy at the same time, which boggles my mind. Bad enough one of those, never mind both at the same time.

I think the bag idea is worth a try. Your mum really has to be kept from touching her face. I would be careful with the buckles, she might use them to scratch with :eek: :eek:! Or try bandaging as Alex suggested. I don't see why the NH wouldn't do it for at least a few days - it would help keep infection away and surely that's a greater good.

Joanne

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You're right about the buckles - I'll have to think about this again. I did think about velcro but I think she might manage to get that off. Off to rummage in my sewing room.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Shingles

Yep, I had shingles about 20 years ago, the doc told me it was the most minor case he had ever seen and I was in utter agony! So I sympathise with anyone with an above-minor case! A friend of mine has also had a minor case, and she, too was in great pain. funny things, shingles.

All copable when you are young and fit, and just an added burden when you are elderly.

Love to all

Margaret

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5