Mum leaves key in back of door - looking for solution

Ferne

Apr 7, 2024
Hello, mum always leaves her key in the lock in the back of the door, and either goes to bed, or doesn’t hear doorbell, meaning carers can’t get into support her. As mum lacks insight into her dementia and care needs, sometimes it’s also her actively trying to lock the carers out, even though they are needed everyday. Does anyone know of a suitable solution, where a lock can be unlocked from the outside, even if you’ve left the key in. It needs to be a deadbolt lock and ideally with a ‘Chubb’ style key as that is what she is used to. It can’t be a thumb-turn lock as she has a glass panel front door and due to local conservation regulations, we wouldn’t be allowed to change it meaning it wouldn’t be safe enough. Tia

Fraz

Jul 17, 2021
Purley
If I was you I would get a locksmith round, he should be to solve the problem for you. Perhaps self locking with an outside combination of some sort?

SarahJC

Nov 9, 2023
Yes I would agree, we had to change my mums lock because of this problem and risk we couldn’t have got into her home. We were easily able to adapt to a no key on the inside of the door and peace of mind. I’m sure a locksmith will have a solution.