Shielding Letter

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Specifically on prescriptions check with the pharmacy.
I usually pick up my repeat dispensing myself.
A week last Thursday my daughter queued to pick it up and was told that in future I should ring them and the meds would be delivered within a week.

I started strict self-isolating , solely because of age, before the 'lock down' in the UK because I know several expats in France and could see what was coming.
No 2 daughter has a MIL who is shielding.
She shopped for two people last Thursday, she was challenged about the contents of her trolley.
She had the foresight to take her LA lanyard (not related to health or SS) with her, showed it and said she was shopping on behalf two people, one shielding and one self-isolating. confrontation solved.
Prime no 1 daughter to be prepared.

Will do, thankfully number one daughter is still working, her job is in remote countryside, so it may be fairer on her if we try to organise a supermarket drop. We can keep going for at least a week having done a comestibles shop yesterday, after a week it will be a diet with frozen veg, but needs must and all that.

One thing we don't have to worry about is medication. We have a brilliant chemist who delivers mum's tablet pack every week without fail. OH and I use Tesco's pharmacy on a two month repeat which we collected recently.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Have you tried skimmed long life milk?
I haven't, I just buy semiskimmed on autopilot. Actually Aldi's doesn't taste too bad, but Tesco's (far easier for me to get to on foot) is pretty vile in hot drinks. Ok for everything else, but... it's that beggars can't be choosers thing again, isn't it. Usually I get milk from the local Spa, to save carrying it home, but queues there are always long, i hear, so I'll stick to my stash for now.

I did buy some Coffee Mate though, in my Jan/Feb preparations. Much better than long life milk, and a good long life store cupboard asset; useful for adding to sauces and so on too. Makes a passable dairy substitute in most things.

Yuck, and still three tins in the pantry.
I've made the same mistake. I can eat any tinned beans (my first girlfriend gave me my Christmas present in a Heinz tin because it's all I seemed to eat. It's still the best, most thoughtful present I've ever had, but don't tell anyone I said that!) but tinned spaghetti has a unique taste. However, cheese improves anything. Mum won't eat beans on toast, but add cheese and she's in like a flash. Same with spaghetti when nostalgia struck and I tried some again.

Fortunately I stocked up on cheese (in the freezer for cooking purposes) and also those Seriously Spreadable cheese spreads, which have a super long shelf life (July/August) and serve the same purpose as a 'how can I improve this lacklustre meal?' ingredient.

I'm also a big fan of adding Worcestershire sauce to things. A bit of Marmite with cheese in the spaghetti would also help. Rumours that I've lived like a student for most of my life are entirely, er... true.

While I'm here, if it comes to it I'd never get fresh veg from online delivery (maybe potatoes?) I'd go for frozen every time, now that it sounds like supplies of frozen food have recovered; it's how we're surviving now. Mixed frozen veg is as healthy, with zero prep, and good value for money. And substitutions are likely to be other frozen veg brands rather than half a manky cucumber. Of course if the freezer is full of bread that won't help. Ours isn't any more. My waistline will eventually thank me. :)

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Expensive taste
You're right. Mine's Tesco brand too. But psychologically, life's not the same without a five year out of date, partially evaporated, bottle of Ye Olde Original at the back of the cupboard, awaiting its last chance at culinary glory. Condiment of kings (and queens).

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
For info for those worried I've used on line shopping for a long time (dau is nearly 19 so prob about 17 years - started in the days of dial up internet)

For the supermarket I use I have never had issues with fresh food, always top quality. I was aware that other supermarkets didn't instruct their pickers to carefully select the fresh produce back then (not the reason for choice of supermarket) but as far as I know from neighbours who use different ones all supermarkets deliver the best available in fresh fruit and veg.

We have lost our on line slot as our supermarket is prioritising shielded names they have - I have asthma so whilst vulnerable I' m not on the shielded list. I've done less than 10 full trolley family shops in the last decade so will be a shock to have to do it (all at home all the time so more food than normal as well).

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We got a letter from no10, but it didnt say that OH should be shielded, or was vulnerable, just outlining the general policy to stay indoors and only go out for essential food shopping, collectiong medicines, a walk once a day or to seek medical attention. Did everyone receive one of those letters? Must have cost a fortune.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I believe everyone did get those letters @canary - and yes a waste of money.

And I won't have to shop as I've obtained a click and collect slot for next Friday - we might run short of salad veg but can manage otherwise until then.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I have shopped online with Tesco ever since it first began but now only four or five times a year for heavy things I would struggle to carry - now live alone and am retired. But I've struggled to get a slot but was told to log in at 12.01am as they release new slots at midnight. I was thrilled to get a click and collect slot three weeks ahead - roll on the 24th April! I plan to but some fresh food to last 10 days or so and only a few cleaning or tinned things to top up my cupboards - there is a limit of 80 items but I'll make sure I save a couple for some gin!

Now I just have to work out how to carry the bags from my car into the house with my disability! Might get the wheelbarrow!

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I'm not actually sure if my dad has received a letter but I did have a call from his care company asking about it but I said we were not going into to dad at the present time and she was working from home so may not have been up to date with everything. The lady asked as she said they needed to know as it was to do with whether extra precautions from carers were needed when visiting dad. I asked dad via a phone call but he's not sure as he usually doesn't bother with post anymore. Lady said she would check into it more and keep updated.
Sister was told not to go into dad to do his breakfast in the current situation no visiting and in fact was asked to remove his dog so she has now taken the dog to her home for foreseeable future.
I am unable to take dads dog as my own dog is epileptic and it would be chaos and stressful for my dog and ME for them to be together. Dad doesn't go out so in that respect hopefully he will be safe but obviously care visits 4 x daily with different carers is a worry.
Partner received a text saying he should stay in for 12 weeks but no letter other than the one that others have received just reiterating the need to stay in etc. Strangely I got the same text too but I think it was in error I'm 60 with no underlying issues that I know of apart from a borderline under-active thyroid.
Personally I would have liked the opportunity to have been able to register Partner so that shopping could be safer as if I get the virus I could pass to my partner but seems that 77 yrs, Parkinson's and heart stents not included as vulnerable person.
Although I have no direct contact with dad at the moment but call him daily I am taking dad his frozen meals over and some basic shopping. Dads Wiltshire meals are now delivered to my home weekly just to make sure they end up in the right place as dad wouldn't open his door or potentially put in freezer the carers schedule enables me to call ahead to check they are available to take in.
Getting a Online Order has been impossible I've made my head ache from staring at the computer and checking all day even after Midnight. I can't even get a click and collect but I'm told they are easier if you are lucky enough to catch the right release time which can vary. I may have no option other than to be brave and venture to the shops eventually perhaps my little corner shop rather than main supermarket.
Its very frustrating that my sister who has always online shopped as she doesn't drive neither does her husband has been offered a regular shop with Sainsburys once a week if needed but the company are not taking any new customers. Iv'e actually registered with three Supermarkets but all delivery's are fully booked for some time although impression is some slots may appear randomly hence my sore eyes and thumping head. I had got dad some extra tinned stuff before lock-down some fruit which he doesn't usually have but I couldn't envisage tackling shopping for his favourite trifle all the time given how manic the shops became. I naively didn't take on board how difficult or worrying shopping would be now and I'm frightened about going out unless I really have to.
My hands are now splitting with all the hand washing as Iv'e become absolutely obsessive and frightened that I'll get the virus and pass onto partner or dad although Iv'e washed and wiped down all the shopping too.
I took some stuff from my pre- lock-down shop to dad this week to make sure he doesn't run out of basics just yet but will need to replace some bits soon. My neighbour kindly left us 4 pints of fresh milk and some eggs last week on the doorstep as we had already exchanged mobile numbers. I decided to give the milk to dad on Friday as he probably prefers to long life but I took two cartons as well and dad didn't need any eggs.
I don't really want to impose on my neighbour or her husband although they did offer on this occasion and I hadn't been well but they have young children and its now obvious no one is immune or safe from the virus. If I can get an Online Order or have to shop I will try and return the favour.
Sister having been told via email that I was going to drop dad stuff off said she was placing a order purely for dads needs this week but her order had several cakes on it which dad really doesn't need yet and most likely would go out of date before eating as I had 4 boxes of Viennese Whirls dads favourite which would last dad about two weeks. I suggested perhaps it better she delayed her order as she had indicated it was being placed for dads needs not her own she even told me a slot was available to her the following week. I said dad was going to be ok this coming week with what I had sorted out for him as I was taking milk and other stuff Friday and had informed her of that only a couple of days earlier.
Sister appears to have gotten in a strop emailing me back saying she was cancelling the order altogether which I think is sensible but she wasn't placing a order the following week either :oops::rolleyes:. I feel that sister is deliberately exerting pressure and making it more difficult for me regards getting shopping for dad simply because she's miffed. I believe there is a limit of 80 items per shop more than enough to help cater for dads needs plus her own household she lives within a short walking distance of his home. Sister could have placed a order for fresh milk for dad at end of this coming week and his trifle plus any other bits to top him up which I have done myself without the aid of a delivery service but now need to think about replacing.
Words fail me despite our difference towards each other I have told her prior to this week I hope we all get through this and that I genuinely did mean it but no such words from her.
I'm afraid I couldn't help myself and replied to her email telling her she was very fortunate indeed to be in a position to have been given the opportunity to get a shopping slot each week as I couldn't get one despite signing up to three supermarkets. I said I would do my best to get dad some stuff and would keep trying to get a delivery.
I think I would rather starve than ask her to get me any grocery's not that she has offered of course but she is in a very good position to get dads stuff. I will try and get dad the basics he needs myself so as to give her nothing to complain about its so bloody awful that even in these terrible times I have a sister like this.
Sorry I probably digressed from the whole post but I'm really stressed, I'm still awaiting news to see if my Vet has managed to get my little dogs epilepsy medication in as it has been delayed by over three weeks but fortunate that I had a spare bottle to open but really need to get more soon hoping its in on Tuesday she can't be without it.
Take care

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
We got a letter from no10, but it didnt say that OH should be shielded, or was vulnerable, just outlining the general policy to stay indoors and only go out for essential food shopping, collectiong medicines, a walk once a day or to seek medical attention. Did everyone receive one of those letters? Must have cost a fortune.

Yes Canary, everyone got that letter, we had ours last week. I agree, what a waste of money.

The shielding letter was sent to the1.5m people who have pre-existing health conditions which make them extremely vulnerable. My FIL who got the shielding letter has had two heart attacks and also has COPD. He also had an aortic aneurism repaired a few years ago although I am not sure if that adds to the risk. He's 85, it's a miracle he's still with us!

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Thank you all for your advice and have I taken note of all the helpful comments.

Just to update the situation and which may be of interest.

Mum had her shielding letter on Easter Saturday and I confirmed her vulnerability online as per the letters instructions.

Yesterday, Easter Sunday afternoon, l looked at the Morrison's food box site and was able to order a food box for delivery tomorrow, that's the day after I placed the order. There were delivery slots every day for the rest of this week.

I'm sure it must be because all the extra staff are now trained and have taken up some of the packing boxes workload. Maybe it is just in our area, but I wanted to share with you all; may be worthwhile checking for yourselves if you are grocery shopping online.
xx