My wife has dementia, she sleeps a lot.

Dave 2400

Nov 6, 2023
Good Afternoon,
my wife has Dementia, she sleeps a lot
stays in bed most of the day, gets aggressive when you try to explain things. She repeats herself and doesn't like when you try to explain things.
my son and daughter in law come to visit and look after her whilst I'm out on a friday. I volunteer with Sight Life at there gardening club, it's getting very stressful during the rest of the wke.
if she doesn't want to do something she puts her head over the landing and says Dave I'm not feeling very well I'm going back to bed, very very stressful , this happens 7 days a wke. I do do the shopping on a Wednesday with or without her .

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi @Dave 2400 and welcome - I hope you'll find it to be a supportive and welcoming place here. I'm really sorry to hear about your wife, and that she has been aggressive. It sounds like things are incredibly stressful for you. Other members will be along soon to offer you some support and suggestions.

Mel90

Jun 4, 2023
Good Afternoon,
my wife has Dementia, she sleeps a lot
stays in bed most of the day, gets aggressive when you try to explain things. She repeats herself and doesn't like when you try to explain things.
my son and daughter in law come to visit and look after her whilst I'm out on a friday. I volunteer with Sight Life at there gardening club, it's getting very stressful during the rest of the wke.
if she doesn't want to do something she puts her head over the landing and says Dave I'm not feeling very well I'm going back to bed, very very stressful , this happens 7 days a wke. I do do the shopping on a Wednesday with or without her .
Oh Dave, my mum has vascular dementia and she is gradually spending more and more days in bed. She tells me she's not feeling well and/or is tired. Very sleepy , but on other days she gets up and seems fine. I think the dementia makes them very tired. I also get the same questions repeatedly day after day. It's hard going.

Rainfalls

May 22, 2024
Yeah my mum sleeps alot, started about a year ago, she had dementia about 7 years now. She seems to get tired very easily which I can understand. She is still mobile and does get up for toilet, drink, snack. I check on her, leave her a drink on beside table . Longest period she gets up for now is late afternoon into evening for a meal and tv, chat which is very repetitive but I just go along with it.
If sleep is what she wants or needs I let her do it, she does seem to need alot of rest otherwise she gets grumpy!

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I have alzheimers. I sleep a lot. The tiredness and exhaustion is profound and i cannot fight it. I sleep a lot of the day and night too.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Part of this is the body systems gradually shutting down over time. Time and variations occur with individuals. The brain is obviously part of this gradual process and sleep is what we need. Please allow this and accept it is part of this cursed disease. It is not something either you or I can alter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carrotcakeforme