Shared Lives

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Does anyone else have a Shared Lives carer? My husband has been allocated shared lives (SL) care for three afternoons a week so that he is taken out whilst I work. It took some time for the co-ordinator to find someone but eventually a chap arrived to take OH out but he could only do two of the afternoons. Then another chap was found to do Mondays. The first man has been off sick for the last week and a half so hubby has not been taken out. I have to go to a meeting in London this Wednesday and arranged care some weeks ago based on the assumption that the SL chap would be taking OH out as normal. Today the Monday carer tells me that the other one is resigning. Although he has sent me a text to say he will be along on Wednesday I am a bit worried. I have to leave at 7.00 am, so an agency carer will sit with Bernard until the SL man arrives at 12.30 but what if he doesn't come? Bernard can't be left on his own and I won't get back till at least 6.00, tube and train strikes permitting.

The Monday man bravely took Bernard to the cinema today to see Sherlock Holmes, but as the carer had trouble following the plot there was very little hope that Bernard would understand what was going on. Nice try though! Probably safer to stick to garden centres!

Would be interested to know if anyone else has experience of this service and, if so, if you have used SL for longer respite?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Haven't really heard of this before Jinx. Sorry it's being a bit of a nightmare at present. Hope it settles down and proves to be a benefit!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mme Blonde

Jun 8, 2014
Up North
Yes, we have a Shared Lives carer who stays with my husband one afternoon a week. It works very well and I have no complaints.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
All was well with our SL carer yesterday. I think it's a great idea. My husband always moans about going out with the carers beforehand but goes off with them quite happily, but he did say that he would hate to have to stay with them overnight. I have a couple of overnight things coming up in the next few months so not sure whether to try SL respite or get an agency carer in. More dilemmas!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407