Sensor Mat and Light

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
hello all

Hubby has another fractured rib from falling over in the dark on the way to the loo. We have fluorescent markers but if I don’t wake up and put the light on, he often falls over.

I’m trying to find a floor sensor mat which automatically turns on a lamp. I need a floor mat which detects pressure, rather than a motion sensor, because the dog prowls around at night.

All the pressure mats I’ve seen connect to a call alert, which is sort of ok, but I’d much rather have one which automatically switches on a lamp for him, in case I don’t wake up immediately.

Has anyone found anything like this? So grateful for any suggestions.

EG

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I don't have the answer as regards a pressure mat to activate lighting, but hope someone else here will.

My immediate thought is possibly some nightlights in the hallway and loo that just stay on all night. I have some very inexpensive ones from IKEA that can be adjusted to direct the light down towards the floor, or upwards.

Another thought, would be motion sensitive lights above the level where the dog would trigger them (about shoulder height for your husband, perhaps). I think you can purchase small ones that can adhere wherever you want them (rather than having to plug them into a power outlet/plug). I found some on Amazon under the brand name "Mr Beams" but am sure other companies manufacture them.

Or perhaps a commode right by the bed?

I hope you figure something out. Best wishes.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I know that the Society for the deaf and hard of hearing do a pressure mat that buzzes and vibrates under my pillow to let me know when she is on the move. In the caravan we have motion lights which are great but not pressure types.