seizures

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
My mum (quite late stages EOAD) had a seizure at the weekend - they took her to hospital checked her over and sent her home again, no further information given... no advice as to what to do if it happens again, or if it is even likely to happen again.... nothing.
therefore my trusted friends, i turn to you all once again... anyone any ideas? is this common? is she dying? any information would be a bonus!

cheers all,

Suzanna xxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Suzanna - my understanding is that seizures can occur as the result of healing brain injuries. In my mother's case it was stroke damage, but I imagine that anything like AD could cause this sort of scarring. Now when my mother had her first seizure it was in front of a professional carer, she stopped breathing and had to be resusitated but even so I had to be quite aggressive about her receiving anti-seizures medications as these are generally not prescribed until 3 seizures have occurred. Why I don't know, but there you are. As far as we were aware after starting the meds she didn't have another seizure (although it's possible she did have).

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Suzanna, Lionel has had several seizures, both large and small.

He has been on Sodium Valoporate now for some time. This medication is usually prescribed for epilipsy, and they have linked his episodes to this.

Although they called the paramedics out to the home at the last time, they tell me that nothing can be done..........just wait and see. Lionel has been classified as late stage for a year now, and like your mother, is early onset.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Hi, My Mum had a seizure in my arms in the hospital, eyes rolled back, head went back and she stopped breathing, which seemed at the time like an eternity. I honestly though she had died in my arms. Again as others have said we were told they can do nothing. Mum has not had another since. All they did was to lay Mum back in bed and kept checking the normal blood pressure, heart rate etc.,

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
My mum has had several seizures over the last couple of years. She is on anti-seizure medication but does still have the odd one, unfortunately. After these episodes it takes her quite a while to recover also.

Suzanna

Dec 5, 2007
Manchester/London
cheers for peoples comments

Hi all who replied,

thanks for your input, sounds like this isn't that uncommon, maybe if she starts having lots of seizures they may put her on meds for it, but i guess not for just the one.

I don't suppose anyone can tell me how 'close to the end' their loved ones were when they started having seizures, i just think some heads up may be good if this means that she is dying now?

sorry it's such a depressing topic!

Suzanna

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I don't suppose anyone can tell me how 'close to the end' their loved ones were when they started having seizures, i just think some heads up may be good if this means that she is dying now?
Suzanna

Hi Suzanna

My Mum started having seizures two or three years ago and she is still with us, so I don't think it's necessarily a sign of impending demise.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
From the descriptions above, my Jan had at least two such seizures when at home with me over ten years ago. I thought she had died when it happened.

I've just returned from visiting her, so there was nothing imminently about to happen back then.