1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Section Level 3 or Deprivation of Liberty

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Tubbsy, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Tubbsy

Tubbsy Registered User

Sep 5, 2010
    Surrey
    My mum was sectioned in January and has been in a psych unit since then, where she as settled really well, is taking medication, is calmer and altogether in a better place. Under level 2 of the sectioning part of the mental health act she can be kept there for 28days, which is next Monday. Today we had a 'best interests' meeting with a consultant, 2 doctors, a CPN and 2 trainees where it was decided she can't go home and needs to go into a care home. I thought this would mean they would have to resection her under level 3 but they said it would be under DOL. when I asked the difference they said level 3 is for people who have been trying to escape, banging on doors etc. I've looked up about it and can't see that this is the case so wonder if it's a case of the local authority not wanting to pay for her after care, which they would have to if she was sectioned under level 3. She has plenty of money which they were aware of. Anyone had any experience of this?

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  3. Tubbsy

Tubbsy Registered User

Sep 5, 2010
    Surrey
    Thanks Nitram.....the thing is, she has to stay in the unit until a care home place can be found s I thought that she would have to be re-sectioned for that to happen.......

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  5. Tubbsy

Tubbsy Registered User

Sep 5, 2010
    Surrey
    I was going to ask them but there's a 6 week wait for replies to legal questions!