seating solutions

viki70

Dec 21, 2008
london
my mum is in late stages of alzheimers and is in residential care
she spends alot of her time sitting down on a chair and is no longer mobile. the staff have been talking about buying her a hospital bed for her. we are unhappy with this decision as we know she will be spending most of her time in her room and we dont feel she is ready for that yet. Any ideas for seating solutions??
viki

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
the staff have been talking about buying her a hospital bed for her. we are unhappy with this decision as we know she will be spending most of her time in her room

I find it very hard to keep my mother out of bed when my mother at home with me, not at day centre .

It care home staff are good at there Job,in the morning in still getting your mother dress wash , out of her bed sitting her in the main fount room on a chair . I don't see why having a hospital bed would make any different. Just make it more Comfortable for your mother . when she laying in the bed .

Is your mother totally immobile, that your mother can't walk without Zimmer frame?

because if so its for the staff to get your mother out of the bed. Not your mother herself ( if you get my point)

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:

I agree with Margarita. My husband is in Nursing Home - he has a hospital bed but spends very little time in it - he wanders alot at night and occasionally they have to put the mattress on the floor to stop him falling :eek: I do not object to this.

I think your Mother could easily have a hospital bed - it can be tilted several ways for her comfort.

My husband spends his day sitting in the main lounge where he can be amongst other people, hence safer. They give him a special cushion to ease his sore bottom. Perhaps you could discuss with them what type of cushion would be good for your Mother during the daytime when she is sitting.

Good luck Jan

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I know that Connie bought a special chair for Lionel. It seems to be able to tilt and perhaps the Home could look into a special chair such as on the pics we have seen of the one Lionel has

xxTinaT

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Hello Viki

Routine is good and the daily cycle of getting out of bed (well -being helped out of bed, or hoisted) I think is beneficial - helps with preventing or reducing clots, changes positions of lungs - so less chance of chest infection, keeps spirits up....better skin....easier to drink - so better hydartion maintained.............

So I began to think why someone might be only in a bed? All I can come up with is towards the end in terminal care or spinal injury......there may be some other reasons - but basically I agree with Beckyjan - a comfortable bed will be great - but just the same as other posters I feel that it cannot replace getting up.

one united

Mar 2, 2009
North West
By hospital bed do you mean a bed / mattress to prevent pressure ulcers (bed sores) because of her mobility?
If your mum is immobile she should have a pressure relieving mattress.
You can also get, and she should have, a pressure relieving cushion.
My feeling is that if your mum can't move she needs both. She also needs to be moved by the staff and also rested on her bed for short periods to relieve pressure, if this is practical.

Sitting for prolonged periods for someone who can not move themselves is actually not good. There's lots of medical reasons, which, unless you want me to, I won't bore you with, but for an immobile person sitting all day in a chair all day can be as bad as being in a bed in some ways.

I'm more than happy to help with advice on suitable cushions if necessary.

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi Vicky, when my dad was in the hopice " terminal cancer "and reached the point where he couldn't move himself or stand, they sat him in a big recliner, best of both worlds dad thought, he'd be sat up for a while and later in the day they would lower it so he wasn't to long on his bottem or back. He hated been in bed. I think the staff will do whats best for your mum and make her as comfortable as they can. Try not to worry. Lynn

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
I had the sane thing with my Dad in the latter stages of cancer. He bought himself one of those adjustable beds and even when he didn't need to move he thoroughky enjoyed playing with all the positons. He still loved to get out of bed though on the good days,but was too weak to support himself so we bought in an adjustable garden lounger which he was able to sit more upright in that the bed.
I think there is something special about getting dressed etc, and you should ask the NH to try and maintain that part of your Mum's day.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
I had the sane thing with my Dad in the latter stages of cancer. He bought himself one of those adjustable beds and even when he didn't need to move he thoroughly enjoyed playing with all the positons. He still loved to get out of bed though on the good days,but was too weak to support himself so we bought in an adjustable garden lounger which he was able to sit more upright in that the bed.
I think there is something special about getting dressed etc, and you should ask the NH to try and maintain that part of your Mum's day.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John also has an adjustable bed, with an airflow mattress to prevent sores.

He has a reclining chair too, and is got up, washed and dessed every morning and put in his chair with a standaid.

He goes back to bed for the afternoon, gets up at teatime, and stays up until they put him to bed at night.

I think it's good for him to be up and in the lounge during the day, as when he is awake he watches all that is going on, and the staff talk to him.

The home provided the bed and chair.

one united

Mar 2, 2009
North West
I think it's good for him to be up and in the lounge during the day, as when he is awake he watches all that is going on, and the staff talk to him.

It is extremely important for being able to eat and drink, taking tablets (it's not good to try and take tabs when not sitting up), prevention of chest infections and, of course, social interaction.

The 'regime' that your husband has sounds like an excellent one.
In my experience, families sometimes got upset at seeing their loved on in bed during the day, but to prevent pressure ulcers and also to allow rest it is extremely important.