Screenplay

stephen cartwri

Aug 8, 2005
london
Hi, one of the most moving things i have ever seen was a documentary a couple of years ago, where a lady was suffering from alzheimers. she had been a pianist and was trying to play the window frame , radiator and a closed piano. Her memory had completely gone, but the basic instinct to play remained. My father is suffering from Guillame Barrie disease ( i hope i spelt that right ) and is having some problems with dementia. I am a composer and work on film tv etc, i want to write a sreenplay about a man aged around 40 who suffers from alzheimers. I have very little knowledge of Alzheimers, apart from the reading i have done, and would like some help in understanding what goes on from both the sufferer and the carers side. I do not want to make a sugar coated film or a voyeuristic look. I want people tho feel as i did after seeing the documentary. If anyone can help i would be most appreciative.
thanks again.
Stephen Cartwright

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Howdy there.

Neil here - student nurse.

I'm not a carer for someone with dementia, but have great interest and support to this illness and hope to work in this area when qualifying...

Enough about what I'm not...

What I am is someone who has read up much on the subject... rather than all the technical bumph, I can highly recommend the following (which have given me great insight into the illness):

Malcolm And Barbara - A Love Story - Documentary - shown on The Community Channel from time to time - Sky Digital 585, Telewest 233 24 hours a day, Freeview 46 from 6am to 9am, and on ntl channel 14 from 10am to 4pm.

Link here to the main site, so you can check listings:
http://www.communitychannel.org/

It follows Malcolm's progression through the illness and how both he and his wife Barbara cope with it - a very moving and interesting film that is worth a look.

Dancing with Dementia: My Story of Living Positively with Dementia - book by Christine Bryden - one woman's own experience and invaluable (it's the nearest I will ever know to understanding what it's like to experience dementia - truly well written and can really 'put you in her shoes')!

What I would also suggest is contacting Day Care Services near to where you live - explain your interests and see what input they have to offer... also, doing some 'bnk work'/voluntary work would give you insight... I worked as a Nursing Assistant on a Dementia Assessment Unit, and by doing such, I learned a heck of a lot.

Hope any of that helps.

:)

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Steven...

Just received this from a guy on the Comm. Channel forum re: Malcolm & Barbara...

This programme will be shown again on:
Weds 14th September at 00.50am
Fri 16th September at 01.05am

:)

N.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnieSmith