runny nose and dribbling

gilswife

May 10, 2016
I know there was a thread on this topic and it was my search that found this site but I can't find it. My husband suffers from an increasingly troublesome runny nose; especially when eating or stressed. Can anything be done about it?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Runny nose when eating was explained to me as crossed wires in the brain resulting in nose running instead of, or as well as, saliva production.

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
Runny Nose and Eyes

I have just read this comment and it has left me wondering!
My Mum has a constant runny nose and her eyes water so much that it looks like she is crying. This post has now got me thinking that these two things linked to her AZ? I was going to take her to her GP when I next visit but I am presuming they won't be able to do much to prevent it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"..I am presuming they won't be able to do much to prevent it..."

I declined medication to dry up the nasal secretions as I preferred to put up with it rather than add further medication, I agreed to report back if my wife started sneezing as well.

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
My mum had a constant runny nose all the time she was taking Aricept.

Thank you Chemmy, I didn't even consider the medication was to blame. I scrutinised the patient information leaflet and I didn't see that side effect mentioned (unless it has been added in the last year or so).

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband has developed a runny nose over the last few weeks. I had presumed he was heading for a cold but it came to nothing. He often sneezes when he's eating.
It's interesting to read this thread.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I should have added that Bill hasn't been on any dementia related drugs for at least 3 years now.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"He often sneezes when he's eating."

This can be caused by an allergic response to certain food, quite often types of bread.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
"He often sneezes when he's eating."

This can be caused by an allergic response to certain food, quite often types of bread.

The speech and language therapist told me that it is more likely to be due to swallowing/aspiration issues. I see this document mentions sneezing and runny nose-

http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dcbcs/bds/nurses/documents/dysphagiaaspiration.pdf

I think this Factsheet is helpful -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=149#Common problems