Rudeness and Agression

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
To those of you with aggressive relatives, I feel for you. There are some in my mum's home that have to be removed from the public area now and again. I always try to speak to them when I visit mum. Just a quick "how are you today?" seems to help a lot, it is a communication from a non-relative. Maybe that helps their self esteem. And I always wave goodbye to them all when I leave. Sometimes I will ask something personal to one of them. I discovered I used to work with the husband of one, so I ask her how he is (having determined that he is still alive). She is always delighted that I have remembered. Another is very artistic, so I always ask to see what she has done that week.

I think it just helps a little. The latter of these two ladies is very aggressive, swears a great deal and threatens to hit other residents.

I said I feel for you, cos my mum is just the opposite. She is an absolute dream to care for. Grateful, thankful, co-operative, helps the staff to collect the tea cups, they think the world of her. I am so grateful for that.

Good luck to you all. One day I may well be an obnoxious resident in a care home myself.

Love

Margaret