Restbite

Tracy ann

Oct 8, 2023
Southwark
Feeling guilty. Iv been looking after my mum for 7 years and never had a break. My mental health is not great so having to send her on restbite for a couple of weeks so I can sort my self out.

Tomsamsmum

Apr 17, 2022
I too am struggling with my mums steady decline she has advanced dementia is bed bound and recently is awake most of the night, calling out and banging on her bed day and night ,I feel my tolerance is not good at the minute as well, I lost my dad last July with mixed dementia and I feel that’s all I have had in my life for the last 8-10yrs and within the last month my husband has been diagnosed with lung cancer , i,ve thought about respite but how do you go about it?

Hillsong

Dec 19, 2019
I too am struggling with my mums steady decline she has advanced dementia is bed bound and recently is awake most of the night, calling out and banging on her bed day and night ,I feel my tolerance is not good at the minute as well, I lost my dad last July with mixed dementia and I feel that’s all I have had in my life for the last 8-10yrs and within the last month my husband has been diagnosed with lung cancer , i,ve thought about respite but how do you go about it?
Contact your Adult Social Care Team and get a Care Assessment done asking for a respite placement. Do you have a Care Agency involved?

Hillsong

Dec 19, 2019
Feeling guilty. Iv been looking after my mum for 7 years and never had a break. My mental health is not great so having to send her on restbite for a couple of weeks so I can sort my self out.
Contact your local Adult SocialCare Team and ask for an assessment for your Mum ask them about respite. They should be able to provide carers to help with some of her daily care needs too

Tracy ann

Oct 8, 2023
Southwark

Tracy ann

Oct 8, 2023
Southwark
This sounds so familiar. Mum doesn't sleep she has delirium all through the night. I was referred to social services by my doctor and now there trying to get mum into restbite

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sounds harsh and I've had my bottom smacked for saying before, they have a duty of care, legally, you don't. K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH goes into respite for a couple of weeks every few months. He rather likes it, but even if he didnt I need the break. It gives me the chance to recharge my mental batteries (and have lots of sleep!) so that I can continue caring for him.

Ive been at the stage of carer burnout and breakdown and wasnt able to care for him for a while, so I know that he needs it too

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaffacake104