Respite Endingb Best interests meeting

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Trying to gather some insight into what may lie ahead.
Dad's respite ending so I assume there will be an assessment before he either returns home or else becomes a permanent resident -or further respite.
As a self funder, I don't hold health and welfare POA for Dad, is there a likelihood that Social Service and/or nurses may decide he NEEDS permanent care and refuse to allow him home?
Is there a best way of avoiding this from happening with prior meetings with care agency or live in carers?
Dad would be living with me so would not be home alone.

If there were a best interests meeting called and brother and I both said we wanted him home, would this carry weight or would be totally ignored?

Just trying to put out some feelers so I know what to anticipate.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Selinacroft
I hope there will be an assessment before a decision is made as to what is best for your dad after respite
as far as I am aware, the views of family are taken into account and the information family members provide is valuable - even with POA, though, an Attorney cannot dictate what happens especially if it is against the recommendations of the medics; but that is what a best interests meeting is all about
I appreciate that you hope your dad will be in a position to return home, and it may well help if you can show that you are all but there in organising the necessary care to keep him safe and provide fully for his needs - but please, if an assessment recommends full time care in a care home, take this seriously as it's more usual for SS to try to have people live in their own home for as long as possible and they don't suggest full time care (even for self funders) lightly

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
A "best interests" meeting was called for my Mum when in respite, @Selinacroft and I was very worried beforehand as I knew she wanted to come home and I wanted to look after her. They did take my views into account and also spoke to my mother, even though she was deemed not to have capacity. A social worker and CPN were there as well as the care home manager.

The upshot was, she did come home and was with me for nearly 5 years more. We had a care package as well though. My brother helped me and we initially had the Re-ablement team (as Mum had previously been in hospital with a wedge compression fracture and then in respite) several times a day, I got a stairlift. For 6 months agency carer came in just once a day to help wash Mum. But things did accelerate - after 6 months, I had to have night time carers 3 times a week for about 9 months and then Mum lost all mobility and we had carers 4 times a day to do the hoisting and personal care. She had to move downstairs and have a hospital bed and hoist.

Mum was funded by the SS and then later had CHC funding. She did have other serious health problems besides Alzheimer's.

So be aware that the situation can change and you may need more help to cope. I hope the meeting goes well and you come to the arrangement that suits you and your Dad.

By the way, I didn't have deputyship (or POA) for my Mum at the time. You are taken into account as next of kin.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Unfortunately I didn’t have the best Best interests meeting and it was decided that even though my husband doesn’t have capacity it was his human right to chose where he lives and because I don’t have the health and welfare power of attorney even though I am his next of kin my wishes were not to be taken into consideration, I have now got a solicitor. Social services appointed an independent social worker who has said she cannot make a decision because I have a solicitor so she has said he will stay where he is at present, which is the place I know offers the best care for his needs at the moment, and the case will go to the court of protection. My solicitor is currently waiting for a reply to the questions she has asked, it’s six weeks since she sent the first letter, a absolute nightmare to say the least

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you Shedrech and Nita for replies.
Baker 17, thanks for sharing what must be a highly stressful situation. I'm not sure I'd have the fight in me for that one. I think I need to pick my battles carefully. CHC will be the next challenge . I will post a new thread with my query on that one. Baker I wish you all the very best with your situation.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I suppose the reason he went into respite in the first place. That may have a bearing on the outcome.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I put him into respite because of 3 or 4 falls . CMH came round for a joint meeting with soc services and they were offering "help" by advising me I should consider things like live in care, night care etc. dad then had yet another fall and I decided to "jump before being pushed" so put him into repsite. I think since the last fall when he banged his head , he hasn't really been trying to stand up and walk anyway, but may try again if and when he got home, who knows?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I put him into respite because of 3 or 4 falls . CMH came round for a joint meeting with soc services and they were offering "help" by advising me I should consider things like live in care, night care etc. dad then had yet another fall and I decided to "jump before being pushed" so put him into repsite. I think since the last fall when he banged his head , he hasn't really been trying to stand up and walk anyway, but may try again if and when he got home, who knows?
So has anything changed to lessen the likelhood of falls?

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Had his first fall in the home today so I guess that means no although he is far less active than the last few weeks at home. I'm not going to try and get him home at the moment, I can see it's a no go so I can do nothing but wait and see what comes next. Appreciate all your thoughts on the subject.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Thank you Shedrech and Nita for replies.
Baker 17, thanks for sharing what must be a highly stressful situation. I'm not sure I'd have the fight in me for that one. I think I need to pick my battles carefully. CHC will be the next challenge . I will post a new thread with my query on that one. Baker I wish you all the very best with your situation.
Thank you xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5