Respite care after hospital

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
My mum was in hospital for 7 weeks and then placed in a nursing home. It seems that the hospital and social worker haven’t really communicated properly as hospital told me it was a 6 week assessment but wasn’t safe to go home. The social worker has said it’s respite that needs to be paid for and she’ll be back to assess which sounded like she was thinking my mum could go home. The care home are having trouble giving her the attention she needs which is 24/7. She has deteriorated since she left home and suffers a lot of UTIs. My dad said it’s out of the question that she can go home as he can’t cope especially if a team of people are having trouble. I’m so worried we’re going to have to put up a fight over her staying there when we were led to believe it was permanent

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Check with the hospital if they are going to fund

Page13

Anyone requiring formal care and support should receive an initial safety
and welfare check on day of discharge to ensure care needs are met.
If your needs are too great to return to your own home, you may be
discharged to a residential setting such as a community hospital or care
home. As options for residential care can be limited, discuss any
concerns you have with staff involved in arranging your discharge.
Support, over and above what you were receiving prior to your hospital
stay, may be free of charge for a limited time.
Check with the hospital discharge team how your care will be
funded and for how long upon discharge
, as funding for this type of
support is locally determined.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
Check with the hospital if they are going to fund

Page13

Anyone requiring formal care and support should receive an initial safety
and welfare check on day of discharge to ensure care needs are met.
If your needs are too great to return to your own home, you may be
discharged to a residential setting such as a community hospital or care
home. As options for residential care can be limited, discuss any
concerns you have with staff involved in arranging your discharge.
Support, over and above what you were receiving prior to your hospital
stay, may be free of charge for a limited time.
Check with the hospital discharge team how your care will be
funded and for how long upon discharge
, as funding for this type of
support is locally determined.

The hospital said it would be the six week discharge to assess but social worker said respite. That was four weeks ago now. I can ring hospital again but it may be too late

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Is this the hospital SW saying its respite, or an ordinary one? I would have thought the hospital would be more more likely to be right if its just the ordinary SW saying this.

What does the nursing home manager say? They would know how the bed is being paid for

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
Is this the hospital SW saying its respite, or an ordinary one? I would have thought the hospital would be more more likely to be right if its just the ordinary SW saying this.

What does the nursing home manager say? They would know how the bed is being paid for
I’ll need to ask manager next week as I’ve hardly seen her and only just spoken to SW on Friday who’s one from the council. What worries me more is the possibility she’ll want her to go home which would be a nightmare and just not work anymore

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could ask PATS by email/phone for the contact email/phone details of the discharge coordinator/team for ward x and then ask them to clarify the situation.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
You could ask PATS by email/phone for the contact email/phone details of the discharge coordinator/team for ward x and then ask them to clarify the situation.
Thanks I’ll get onto it on Tuesday. I went round to my dad’s today and read the letter from social worker which does say discharge home hasn’t been advised and that she needs 24 hour care so I wouldn’t think SW would consider home. Whenever we visit you can see the decline and she’s lost so much weight

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m sure if that’s written down you’ll be fine. Often I think staff say things without thinking or in error and our frazzled brains just go crazy with it…..

Addiscombegirl

Apr 8, 2021
It is probably the hospital social worker. They can't discharge your Mum from their caseload without a plan in place and then they go in a queue to get assigned a social worker with the local authority.

My Mum didn't go into a home but we had her having care. And we had to pay. The social worker sets up the care and then the local authority charge for it.

If your Dad is next of kin he will receive the letter. Make sure he doesn't sign or agree to anything without discussing it with you.

She will only have to pay if she has only £23k in savings. And if the house is not in her name, they can't sell it.