Refusing to go to respite care

JHA

Aug 7, 2021
Hi @JHA as your mum is self-funding you may not hear anything from SS at all now that she is in a care home. They may just leave it up to you to agree with the care home to make it permanent.

Has the care home applied for a DoLS?
Yes a DOLs was applied for the day after she arrived. No idea who applied for it as I only found out by accident last week when talking to the care home about who would order repeat medication.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
In that case @JHA there should be no problems.
It is very, very common for people with dementia who are living in a care home to say they want to go home, but if they have a DoLS then the care home can keep them safe and SS will not be interested.

I cannot see any reason now why you could not talk to the care home manager about making this permanent now (assuming that you are happy with the care home and the care home is happy to continue caring for her) and not having to have SS input.

JHA

Aug 7, 2021
In that case @JHA there should be no problems.
It is very, very common for people with dementia who are living in a care home to say they want to go home, but if they have a DoLS then the care home can keep them safe and SS will not be interested.

I cannot see any reason now why you could not talk to the care home manager about making this permanent now (assuming that you are happy with the care home and the care home is happy to continue caring for her) and not having to have SS input.

I am happy with the care home and they seem happy to continue to care for her (I will double check though as she was extremely difficult last weekend and was then taken to hospital twice - now back in the care home).

The POA is not through yet so it seems wrong that I get to decide what happens to her. Does DOLS mean than she now lacks capacity? Sorry for all these questions I seem to be in the middle of all the professionals and only get snippets of information.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does DOLS mean than she now lacks capacity?
Yes it does. After te care home applied for it your mum would have been assessed by an independent assessor tosee whether she had the capacity to insisit on going home and that fact that the DoLS was issued shows that she does not.
So everyone is in agreement that your mum cannot go home. SS are only interested if
1 - the person with dementia is at risk
2 - they want to go home and still have the capacity to decide where they should live
3 - Local Authority will have to give financial support.

Your mum doesnt come into any of those categories, so I very much doubt that SS will want to be involved further.

JHA

Aug 7, 2021
Yes it does. After te care home applied for it your mum would have been assessed by an independent assessor tosee whether she had the capacity to insisit on going home and that fact that the DoLS was issued shows that she does not.
So everyone is in agreement that your mum cannot go home. SS are only interested if
1 - the person with dementia is at risk
2 - they want to go home and still have the capacity to decide where they should live
3 - Local Authority will have to give financial support.

Your mum doesnt come into any of those categories, so I very much doubt that SS will want to be involved further.
Thanks Canary.

I am not sure who applied for the DOLS as Mental Health went out twice (the afternoon of the day I dropped her off and again the following day). I got the impression from the Care Home than Mental Health did it and that it had been applied for and was pending and whilst it was pending it is treated as if there is a DOLS in place.

Not sure I interpreted what they said correctly.