Refusing Food, PEG Feed, Palliative Care, Starting to Break

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi,
If you need some extra background, I have a thread titled, "Can't take Much More, Dad Nor Me". It's a bit long-winded but saves me going into too much detail, I'm fairly long-winded, sorry.

Dad has AD, 8 yrs, aged 86, Mum, 82 cared for him at home, with my help. Mum has developed a couple of health issues and is just tired out and had enough. Dad was hospitalised for 4 weeks after an episode if delirium, and we were looking at respite, but ended up putting him into a nursing home because he has seriously declined and is immobile now.

He still communicates well, is mostly passive but can get angry at showers or any fussing, issues that didn't happen at home.

His appetite was waning while at home, not even wanting sweet foods any more. While in hospital he was eating 2 spoons at breakfast, a cup of tea and a biscuit, no lunch, no dinner. Supplement was mostly refused too. While he went in walking with a walker, even tried to get up and leave in the first week! Had a fall in hospital and gradually stopped walking. I demanded some x-rays before he left but they refused, saying no clinical evidence to warrant it.

He has been in a nursing home for 2 weeks, about a half hour drive away, started in a locked dementia ward that distressed him greatly because he needs calm and quiet. yesterday they transferred him to an unlocked high care section, fewer staff but people have no real behaviour issues.

He seems to be asleep most of the day, refusing food, although when I ask he sometimes says yes, then opens his mouth and gets very upset when it's in his mouth, everything tastes awful, even a sip of tea. he is still asking for water, which is good. He seems very depressed, is on Citalopram to treat depression from dementia, not a chemical problem. I feel he is pining for home, and his family. I am spending every day there to try and support him and give him as much love and comfort as I can. My mum needs to rest and doesn't drive, I stay long hours and can't take her with me since she needs to be home earlier. My sister is much younger, works part time, lives further away, and has a 2 year old. My children are adults.

Basically, I am the glue holding all this together, seeing the most of Dad's needs, and possibly the most emotionally attached. Mum seems to have decided she just can't have Dad back home, she has given up, told us she has mourned for him and lost him already, even though he knows we are all his "lovey mums". He wakes every now and then and calls, " Mummy, Mummy, Mummy, where are you?" All the care staff have very heavy accents, since they seem to be the only people willing to work in this industry for the money it pays. They are nurses and RN's but it still means Dad can't understand them and won't believe they are us, which he did in hospital, he called them all Mum, meaning my mum.

To my point, sorry, I take too long. The nursing home said he is shutting down, we can't get him to eat, he seems to be sleeping all day and in pain some of the time, but can't identify it to us. We have been asked if we want to PEG feed but their opinion is he would not cope with the surgery, or any other tests or procedures to find a source of pain or indeed, to treat it. They said we should consider palliative care, providing pain relief in the form of a morphine-based med, only use necessary meds, no tests or treatments, and keep him comfortable.

I suppose we feel a PEG feed is too invasive and palliative care would be the kindest choice. I am struggling with everything, he isn't incontinent, knows he needs to go but can't call for help or go himself. If I'm not there he has just pulled down the front of his pull-ups and done it in his lap, meaning a whole change of clothes, which means lifter, stress, it is all overwhelming me. A staff member can't be watching him every second and if they try to toilet him at other times he says he doesn't need to go.

I am wondering whether any of you have experience of any of this and an opinion or advice? My mum and sister tell me I can't control everything and we need to give up on Dad, in a way. I am constantly plagued by images of him wanting us, being with strange people, he was only moved to the quiet section yesterday so he needs to get used to new people again, and I know that will happen. I'm also concerned that the other residents in that section seem to be fairly ok, walking around, sitting at the tables to eat, and I wonder how they are high care, I don't know if there are any with dementia in that section either. When they said they would move him, and said the assessment from hospital seemed to be for a different person from the man they see, and he should not be in a locked unit, I said what about his anger issues, and they said lots of high care residents have those issues, with or without dementia.

I am floundering, as usual, feeling overwhelmed and exhausted, but can't just switch it off. So far, I have been there almost every day, except for a couple of times my sister took my mum so I could stay home. I know visiting and NH isn't giving up but it feels like abandonment to me. Sorry, this seems to have chopped all over the place, giving bits and pieces and not really making myself clear, in light of the Thread Title.

Stephanie, xxx

Last edited:

Pigeon11

Jul 19, 2012
Hello Stephanie

How difficult this must be for you, your father and family. This illness is so hard to cope with and all the changes and upheaval you are going through at this stage must be taking it's toll by now.

I'm afraid I don't have any words of advice about the practical side of things - the issues with continence, the language issues and whether he is in the right place or not. But I want to let you know I'm thinking of you, as are all the others who will no doubt be replying to you soon (it's still early morning here and seem to remember you're in Australia?)

You sound so compassionate and caring and you're doing such a fantastic job holding everything together. Though I know you have to keep going for everyone's sake, I hope you have some good support and are taking care of yourself as well as everyone else. Your Mum and sister are right, you can't control everything, but that doesn't mean you are giving up on him - any of you. You are all doing your best to get by and cope with a sad situation. I am sure your dad appreciates you are there and wouldn't want this to be so hard for you - in the same way that you don't want that for him.

Please take care of yourself. I'll be thinking of you xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning Stephanie. I wish I could be helpful. Wishing you strenght for to cope with all you're facing. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wish I could say something to help Stephanie .
I `m sure I would refuse PEG feeding for my husband unless he indicated hunger and was unable to eat. Your dad seems to be refusing food and doesn`t seem to know what to do with it when it`s in his mouth.
He does sound distressed which must be most upsetting for you. Is there nothing more which can be done to further sedate him to relieve this distress.
I would be inclined to take the advice of the medics. From what you say, are you thinking of your dad`s feelings from your perspective rather than from his?

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thank you all for your replies. Grannie G, I am very likely thinking of things from my own perspective, it's hard to know how Dad feels about anything. On the one hand, in the early stages of the disease he would say life wasn't worth living this way, when he was frustrated and feeling he was going mad, his words. At the same time, he has always been quite fearful of death, well before he was affected, never wanted us to talk about things like final wishes or trying to discuss what his and Mum's preferences were.

He's not really distressed, he spends most of the day sleeping but becomes agitated and annoyed if I want him to eat or ask him if he's in pain. He is putting his hands to his head and moaning softly or has a most pained expression perpetually.

I have a wonderful husband who is listening to all my tales of woe at the end of the day, he is very compassionate but I can't wait until he completes his final project for the Masters of Business Administration he's been studying for the past 18 months.

I think I must accept the inevitable, which I've always been prepared to do, but I was expecting him to be very end stage, unable to speak, swallow, or lift his head, but he can still do all those things and if he would eat, things would be different.

I wonder if anyone here has lost a loved one at this stage, but not from another affliction or illness? I suppose my prayers are being answered, I often would hope that Dad could go without lingering in that end stage. Although the clinical team say he is end stage.

Thanks you for your encouragement and taking the time to read my ridiculously long post. Its almost midnight here and I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. Have a lovely day all my TP friends.

Stephanie, xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Dear Stephanie

I have no words to comfort you.You must feel utterly exhausted and distressed with this terrible situation. I hope you had some sleep last night. I have no solutions or suggestions apart for to say take care of yourself.

Love from Lyn T

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Stephanie

I would personally agree with the decision not to go for peg feeding, they are very intrusive both for the operation to fit it and to use.

I would not subject my husband to any intrusive intervention even at the stage he is at, he would not understand and it would be too distressing.

So I am sending (((HUGS))) and strength to support you all.

Helen xxx

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Hi Stephanie

Oh I`m so sorry for you & your dad & your mom

My Mil refused food and thats how it started the downhill slope Im so sorry to say..She`d drink water only

But you need help yourself as your looking for answers same as I was

If your dads aggravated like my Mil can they not give him relaxants ?

My Mil was given syringe dive feeding morphine & relaxants into her

I do hope they can do something for him

Dementia is vile,takes the actual person so long before God Does

x x x

zeeeb

Maybe try thinking of it not as giving up, but allowing him the freedom to slip away from this battle. If he wants to fight, this will become apparent, if not, he perhaps shouldn't be forced to endure more.

Yes, its painful for everyone else, but he has had a long hard battle to get to this point. He doesn't have many choices at this point, food should be a choice, not forced in my opinion. Its not easy to stay and fight, nor is it easy to give up. I wish strength for you to get through this part.

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thank-you again for all your support and opinions. Sometimes we know and understand the situation and the decisions we must make, but it's so helpful to have some confirmation.

Dad didn't want to get out of bed yesterday and it took 3 of them to convince him at 1pm. When I arrived he was in the new quiet section lounge area in his air chair sound asleep with the other dears. I just sat and held his hand, or rubbed his back. He keeps leaning forward in his sleep and I wonder whether his back is hurting. Whenever I ask him if anything hurts he says he doesn't know.

He still isn't eating but does drink water. I asked him if he wanted some custard and peaches and he said yes. I was so excited because he opened his mouth but then pulled a face, put his hands up to his face and spits the chewed peach into his hand. I'm so confused about this food issue, even if I say he needs to swallow he won't, although he still can swallow. He generally doesn't want any food when I offer it but I think the peaches and custard sounded good, so why doesn't he want to eat it?

Stephanie, xxx

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
No advice Steph, just want to send virtual hugs(()) and my best wishes to you and your family, you are going through such tough times right now.

Ange

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thank you Ange, I appreciate the hugs and kind words. I sometimes feel that, while it is becoming serious and Dad is really slipping away, there are others here who are dealing with so much more heartbreak. I mentioned earlier that I may be getting my prayers answered, I have long felt I would rather Dad leave us before he sinks into a silent and detached oblivion where he lingers for ever

Stephanie, xxx

Louisek100

Sep 27, 2012
Hi Stephanie

I can't offer you any advice but I can say I understand and know exactly what you are experiencing. My husband is 65 (I am 60) and he is also not eating , the trouble is he is hardly drinking either , he has lost two stone in 6 weeks.
He also opens his mouth , then either swipes everything away, spits it out or fights if you try and put anything in his mouth. I too am trying to make a decision on whether to just accept that perhaps he realises and wants to give up as he constantly says "Enough", does he mean he has had enough of life I wonder.

I definitely don't want him to be peg fed and nor do my children, if he has to be rehydrated via a drip they will have to sedate him as he would never keep it in.
However bad it sounds we too wish my husband would slip quietly away in his sleep .

Love to you and if you need a chat let me know.

"R"

Fastwalker

Apr 27, 2010
Tyne and Wear
My mum wouldn't eat much for a while after being on a nasal feed and then started eating slowly. She ate things like yogurt and ice cream. The home had nice neopolitan ice cream and she liked the colours pink brown and white it had. I took nice soft lemony mousses which were very high in calories. She is still on a soft diet but I sometimes take mashed soft fruit like strawberries and raspberries and put cream in. (The home is just over a mile from my house so nothing melts or goes off!)
Hope you find a solution.

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thank you Louise, it's truly heartbreaking isn't it? You must feel helpless when you see your husband fading away and can't do anything. I'm so sorry, I know just how you feel, today I saw Dad half undressed and he looks like he has been in a POW camp, utterly emaciated.

Fastwalker, I'm glad you're finding something that works, and so handy to be that close. I hope your mum continues to enjoy her sweet treats.

Stephanie, xxx

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Today was such a shock, I didn't see Dad yesterday, I was minding my sister's 2 yr old son while she worked, then she went with him to see Dad after work.

Today I went and he was sitting in his chair in the lounge, asleep but sort of softly rambling under his breath. His voice was very husky, he didn't have his bottom denture in and when I kissed him and whispered in his ear he didn't seem to realise who I was. I found the denture and got him to accept it after much trouble. I wanted him to be able to drink some water and it's hard without that denture. He struggled to suck on the straw but managed a little, then coughed and choked on it, with barely the strength to cough.

I thought he needed changing and the 2 nurses took him to his room. He became a complete ogre, swearing and fighting, and had no idea who I was at all. I kept trying to talk softly to him but he just mocked me, repeating what I was saying to him in a horrible tone. Although he has resisted and argued before, especially since they need to use the lifter to get him changed, today he was despicable, no trace of the sweet man I kissed goodbye 2 days ago. When he went into the home, I begged for him to go into the quiet section, away from the wailing and screaming in the locked unit because he was sleeping most of the time and frightened by everything around him, gripping my hand and asking me to stay with him because he was terrified. I finally felt comfortable that he was settling into a quiet place to slowly drift away, but I don't know this man.

He has declined so much, and the clinical director said it is what happens at this point, but just 2 days is such a shock. I feel like I've been on a different emotional ride every day for the last 6 weeks and this last one is so confronting. My dad has no idea who I am, derives no comfort from my presence and is declining by the day. I know he could be constipated, have an infection or be dehydrated but my heart believes his sweet soul has left, and this gaunt shell is all that's left. A very hard day.

Stephanie, xxx

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I am so very sorry. Your poor dad and poor you. Poor everybody. I wonder if his medication can be adjusted, to reduce his fear and suffering? When my mum was similarly ill, the GP was able to make it easier for her - and so for everyone else, but it took a little while.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Stephanie, I am so sorry. I can only imagine how awful this must be for you.

turbo

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Oh Stephanie I ache for you.
Wondering if he doesn't like being moved, particularly with the lifting machine. They unsettle a lot of people I believe. At the end my father *hated* to be moved from his bedroom, even in a bed-chair thing and I remember him swearing quite graphically (his nurses of two years hadn't heard him swear before), when he had barely responded to basic questions for weeks previously. It was late November and the nurse thought he might enjoy being outside :eek: Didn't try that again:(
Which leads me to wonder whether your father resents being dragged from his quiet, private room to a communal area. Hence his confusion and explosive response. Poor man. Poor you.
Wishing a balm for your heart,
Toni xxx

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Oh Stephanie, I am so sorry to read this.

You have brought so much comfort to others and myself with your gentle and understanding posts, just so sorry to hear you are struggling with this torment.

I so hope things will improve for him AND for you soon

xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5