Recent out-of-character memory issues in 92 yr-old

Sandstone

Mar 8, 2024
Bill is a 92 year old who is usually known for being sharp and capable of independent living. For example, while family members were away for a month recently, Bill drove to their house twice a day to attend to their pets and light garden work.

However, we have noticed a couple of alarming things over the last week or so which are very out of character.

Recent memory issues

On Sunday, Bill’s son returned home from abroad, and had a phone call with Bill’s wife, confirming he was back. Bill’s wife relayed this to Bill. Then on Monday, Bill rang his son to “check if he was back yet” and saying he “hadn’t heard anything”.

On Monday, I spoke with Bill and answered various questions he had about a recent property sale in the family. Bill responded appropriately and said “Ah well, as long as Diane is happy with the outcome and can enjoy her trip, that’s all that matters.”

On Thursday, I spoke with Bill and answered the very same questions about the sale, with Bill commenting he “had no idea” what had happened. The conversation went along identical lines and Bill finished by saying “Ah well, as long as Diane is happy with the outcome and can enjoy her trip, that’s all that matters.”

What struck me was not just that Bill was seemingly not aware at all about our Monday conversation, but that his response was identical too.

Overall health

Bill is in good general health, no recent changes to medication (that we are aware of), and no family history of dementia. He walks, gardens, and reads daily. His only treatments are for mild atherosclerosis and blood pressure issues.

As mentioned, the recent events are out of character for Bill. The family had a brief conversation and decided to all “keep an eye” on it.

My question is, what in particular should or could we be doing and looking out for? Are there certain questions we should be asking (other than, say, whether there’s been any change in medication)? Any non-dementia related potential causes we should be looking out for?

Thanks for reading, and very many thanks for any advice and assistance!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Welcome to this forum and I am sure that you will gets lots of support from other members.

My initial thoughts are that as Bill has been living independently, it maybe that he has actually been developing some signs of dementia (could easily be something else too) that he has been successfully hiding for sometime.

People with dementia become skilled at what we call host mode, where they can put on a good show while with others to the point that no one can see what is really going on with them. I guess that giving you the same answer is part of that host mode, saying what he thinks is an appropriate answer.

At his age, the is an increased risk of developing some type of dementia but other conditions such as Vitamin B deficiency can produce similar symptoms. I would think that a check up with his GP would be a good place to start.

Sandstone

Mar 8, 2024
Thank you for your very warm welcome!

Bill was in PR/marketing during his working life (until his 80s), and always eager to please others, so the idea of putting on a "host mode" rings very true to me.

I agree a GP appointment should definitely be on the cards. Bill is pretty good with getting regular checkups, but probably not so amenable to going at the concerned behest of others. To tread gently!

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I would suggest that all who love Bill start to pool their observations of such behaviour
Start to fill a notebook
You will find thus useful when talking to medics

Sandstone

Mar 8, 2024
I would suggest that all who love Bill start to pool their observations of such behaviour
Start to fill a notebook
You will find thus useful when talking to medics
Great idea, and remedies the vagueness of the family's plan to "keep an eye on things", which is exactly what I was after.

Thank you very much.